Re: [tsvwg] [Ecn-sane] per-flow scheduling

"David P. Reed" <dpreed@deepplum.com> Thu, 18 July 2019 15:02 UTC

Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 11:02:12 -0400
From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed@deepplum.com>
To: Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com>
Cc: "ecn-sane@lists.bufferbloat.net" <ecn-sane@lists.bufferbloat.net>, Bob Briscoe <ietf@bobbriscoe.net>, tsvwg IETF list <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] [Ecn-sane] per-flow scheduling

Dave -
The context of my remarks was about the end-to-end arguments for placing function in the Internet.

To that end, that "you do not mind putting storage for low priority packets in the routers" doesn't matter, for two important reasons:

1) the idea that one should "throw in a feature" because people "don't mind" is exactly what leads to feature creep of the worst kind - features that serve absolutely no real purpose. That's what we rigorously objected to in the late 1970's. No, we would NOT throw in features as they were "requested" because we didn't mind.

2) you have made no argument that the function cannot be done properly at the ends, and no argument that putting it in the network is necessary for the ends to achieve storage.