Re: [Txauth] Revisiting the photo sharing example (a driving use case for the creation of OAuth)

Justin Richer <jricher@mit.edu> Mon, 03 August 2020 19:02 UTC

From: Justin Richer <jricher@mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2020 15:02:11 -0400
Cc: Dick Hardt <dick.hardt@gmail.com>, "txauth@ietf.org" <txauth@ietf.org>
To: Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr>
Subject: Re: [Txauth] Revisiting the photo sharing example (a driving use case for the creation of OAuth)

Hi Denis,

I think there’s still a problem with the terminology in use here. What you describe as RS2, which might in fact be an RS unto itself, is a “Client” in OAuth parlance because it is a client of RS1. What you call a “client” has no analogue in the OAuth world, but it is not at all the same as an OAuth client. I appreciate your mapping of the entities below, but it makes it difficult to hold a discussion if we aren’t using the same terms.

The good news is that this isn’t OAuth, and as a new WG we can define our own terms. The bad news is that this is really hard to do.

In GNAP, we shouldn’t just re-use existing terms with new definitions, but we’ve got a chance to be more precise with how we define things. This could mean splitting up things into multiple roles, or defining new roles for aspects that weren’t in consideration in the protocol previously. Perhaps what you’re calling a client below could potentially be considered the “interaction component” or “consent gatherer”, which was previously a portion of the AS.

I’ve never been a fan of the term “client” in OAuth because it’s too generic and confusing to a lot of developers, especially the web programmers that OAuth is aimed at. “User Agent” would be similarly unsuitable for the same reasons — both “client” and “user agent” are taken to mean “browser” in many circles. I’d love for us to come up with a new term for this, but apart from the “Resource Client (RC)” that I proposed in the XYZ Draft, I don’t have an answer.

 — Justin