Re: [GNAP] Enterprise servers and Internet servers use cases

Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr> Tue, 18 August 2020 13:52 UTC

To: Fabien Imbault <fabien.imbault@gmail.com>
Cc: "txauth@ietf.org" <txauth@ietf.org>
From: Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 15:52:14 +0200
Subject: Re: [GNAP] Enterprise servers and Internet servers use cases

Hi Fabien,

> Hi Denis,
>
> If I understand correctly, your use case is about supporting ABAC,
> which is nice and should be fairly easy to do. I think you could make
> the use case much simpler, however.

The most complex case is being addressed where a RS is trusting more
than one AS and is willing, using ABAC, to obtain different attributes
for the same user.
 From there, simplifications exist in the real world.

The most important is that I propose a single model where both
capabilities and ABAC can be used, at the full discretion of the
Resource Controller.

> The description is currently very misleading. You're using the term
> "capability" is a sense that is very different from the context in
> which it is used by everyone else

I am using the term "capability" since it is fully appropriate. A
capability is a pair of elements granted by an AS that indicates "which
method is allowed on which data object".
In another context, I would say "which operation (e.g. read or write) is
allowed on which data".

> (i.e. ocaps litterature). I actually don't really understand why you
> want to use that term here.

I am sorry, but I don't know what ocaps means. I used:
https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/OCAPS and I got the following
results :

    OCAPS    Office of Clinical Administrative and Program Support
(Illinois)
    OCAPS    Ohio Coalition for Adult Protective Services (Columbus, OH)
    OCAPS    Out of Control Action Plans
    OCAPS    Ottawa Citizens against Pollution by Sewage (Canada)

I do mean capability. Please, take a look at:
https://prosuncsedu.wordpress.com/2014/08/21/comparing-object-centric-access-control-mechanisms-acl-capability-list-attribute-based-access-control/

> RBAC vs ABAC pros and cons are already well known (see for instance
> https://www.dnsstuff.com/rbac-vs-abac-access-control), and you don't
> really need
> to introduce capabilities into the mix.

My argumentation has nothing to do about RBAC versus ABAC.

Denis