Re: [Txauth] consensus call on WG name: "Authorization and Delegation"

Justin Richer <jricher@mit.edu> Fri, 15 May 2020 22:03 UTC

From: Justin Richer <jricher@mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 18:02:54 -0400
Cc: "rdd@cert.org" <rdd@cert.org>, Dick Hardt <dick.hardt@gmail.com>
To: "txauth@ietf.org" <txauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Txauth] consensus call on WG name: "Authorization and Delegation"

Thanks for the transparency, Roman. And thanks to Dick for providing the logs.

I did a quick analysis of the results myself. I went through cleaned up the log file a little (there were some mixed spaces and tabs that made automatic parsing difficult) and disambiguated the several expansions of different names:

	TXAuth1: Truly eXtensible Authorization
	TXAuth2: Testable eXtensible Authorization
	TxAuth3: Transmission of Authority
	TIDYAuth1: Transference via Intent Driven Yield Auth
	TIDYAuth2: Trust via Intent Driven Yield Auth

By removing every entry where all five points were awarded to TxAuth: Transmission of Authority, and tallying all others (including votes for other entries that had all five points awarded by one voter but to a different option), we get the following results:

Totals:
TxAuth3: 42
TXAuth1: 25
GNAP: 20
PAuthZ: 19
TXAuth2: 12
TINOA: 9
TIDYauth2: 8
CTAP: 7
NIRAD: 6
ZAuthZ: 6
GranPro: 4
TIAAP: 4
AZARAP: 4
TIDYauth1: 3
ReAuthZ: 3
DIYAuthZ: 3
IDPAuthZ: 2
TIDEAuth: 2
TIEAuth: 2
RefAuthZ: 2
BeBAuthZ: 2
AZARP: 1
DAZARAP: 1
AAuthZ: 1
BYOAuthZ: 1
CPAAP: 1

As you can see, the winner of the poll is :still: overwhelmingly “Transmission of Authority”, even with all of these entries removed. I’ll note that this does not include the last seven votes that came in the last couple days, so these results are skewed even then.

To be clear, I don’t think it’s fair to throw out all such votes, but since they are what’s suspect here I felt it important to see the results just those removed and see if it told a different story. It does not, and I think that indicates the consensus is actually still pretty clear.

I am attaching both the cleaned-up log file as well as the quick python script that I wrote to do the analysis of the results, please check for any errors or inconsistencies.

 — Justin