Re: [GNAP] Feedback on polymorphism

Justin Richer <jricher@mit.edu> Fri, 23 October 2020 20:35 UTC

From: Justin Richer <jricher@mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 16:35:38 -0400
To: Dick Hardt <dick.hardt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [GNAP] Feedback on polymorphism

> On Oct 23, 2020, at 3:52 PM, Dick Hardt <dick.hardt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Justin
>
> I did note that I was the one that argued for instance_id being in the object. Since it is in the object in the current draft, not including a pass by reference option would be preferable.
>
> As for concrete examples:
> - version of client
> - version of OS
> - security attestation of OS / device
> - location of client device
> - network client is operating on
>
> These are all attributes of the client that an AS may require on the initial grant request, and in future grant requests (which is when an instance_id) would be used.

This is where our interpretations differ: I don’t see these as “attributes of the client” in the same way that the key, display information, class identifiers, and other items currently represented by an instance_id are attributes of the client instance. The attestation components don’t modify the instance so much as present additional information on top of the client instance itself. This is why I argue that they ought to be handled in a separate object, so you’d have something like this strawman:

{

  posture: {
    software_version: 1.2.3,
    os_version: 14.3.2
    device_attestation: { … some structure or signed blob? … }
    location: { lat: …, lon: …, alt: … }
  },

  client: “client-541-ab"

}

This is a more fundamental question about GNAP than whether the syntax uses polymorphism: this is about GNAP being very explicit about the data model of its elements. OAuth 2’s incredibly loose and broad model of what the term “client” is referring to, exactly, is deeply problematic in practice. We’re even seeing that in the OAuth 2.1 work with having to define a “credentialed client”, and even then that doesn’t fully capture the different aspects that are out there. I think we’re getting closer here in GNAP with explicit definition of “client instance”, but we still need to be more precise about what exactly a client instance includes, and what it does not.

 — Justin