Re: [Tzdist] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tzdist-service-08.txt> (Time Zone Data Distribution Service) to Proposed Standard

"Patrik Fältström " <paf@frobbit.se> Wed, 17 June 2015 20:14 UTC

From: Patrik Fältström <paf@frobbit.se>
To: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 17:14:43 -0300
Cc: tzdist@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org, IETF-Announce <ietf-announce@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Tzdist] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tzdist-service-08.txt> (Time Zone Data Distribution Service) to Proposed Standard

On 17 Jun 2015, at 17:11, Eliot Lear wrote:

> Steps for improvement: The references to the timezones is by the TZID, and that is good, but I think most parties when deciding on an event pin it to a geographical location, like city/country or so in some combination. Because of this I think ultimately a reference should be in the form of a location that the tzid service should be able to resolve to the correct TZ definition (i.e. time + location gives TZ definition).
>

> How do you want user-facing client behavior to change?  I'm not sure I
> see that.

Many clients do today ask where the event takes place. One select timezone based on a city, or location. I want that location I choose in the client to stay in the calendar object. Not be translated to some TZid (and now to a TZ definition that is inserted in the object).

So, yes, having TZID in the object is a BIG step forward, the most important one.

The next is to for example be able to have the address of a physical event both as location for the event and as pointer into a TZ database.

Once again, tzdist is The Key Thing, that I have waited for.

The rest is just implementation and agreement on what you can use for lookups.

   Patrik