Comments on Mail Monitoring MIB version 2 (8-1-93)

develop!robb@sblab.att.com Tue, 17 August 1993 21:47 UTC

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1993 14:09:22 -0700
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: develop!robb@sblab.att.com
Subject: Comments on Mail Monitoring MIB version 2 (8-1-93)
To: <>

Please pardon me if some of these comments are redundant.  I think most of
them aren't, but I've only been able to skim my mail lately.  Overall, I'm
very pleased with the development of this since the Application Monitoring MIB.

I'll start with the easy ones and work up to the harder:
   1) throughout the document "an an SMTP" should be "an SMTP"
   2) Should RFC 1212 be referenced instead of 1155 in the framework?
      Seems like it at least partly replaces it.
   3) for mtaGroupOldestMessageStored, is this the message origination time,
      receipt time, or the time it was queued for delivery?
   4) For the other *Stored* objects, does Stored mean in archival storage or
      does it mean undelivered?  If undelivered, does it include objects whose
      delivery has been suspended for some reason?
   5) I like the mtaGroupTable, but shouldn't the Network Services Monitoring
      related info be in an applGroupTable?  Database and File System servers,
      e.g., could usefully group association information by host.
   6) Is anyone else interested in information about the precedence/priority
      of messages?  We are.
   7) For our application the delivery, presentation and routing are essentially
      different programs where presentations can be associated with more than
      one delivery and deliveries can be associated with more than one
      presentation.  Only the deliveries map well back to the applTable in the
      Network Services Monitoring MIB.  It's possible to map information from
      presentations to the corresponding delivery but it would be nice to
      represent information about network-related applications that don't
      directly have inbound and outbound associations.  Is this kosher?  Will
      this be addressed more directly in some future Mail Gateway MIB?

Regards,
Martin Robb
AT&T Santa Barbara Lab
robb@sblab.att.com