Re: [Unbearable] (belated) WGLC draft-ietf-tokbind-ttrp

Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr> Mon, 17 September 2018 10:43 UTC

To: Hans Zandbelt <hans.zandbelt@zmartzone.eu>
Cc: Tokbind WG <unbearable@ietf.org>
From: Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 12:43:27 +0200
Subject: Re: [Unbearable] (belated) WGLC draft-ietf-tokbind-ttrp

Hans,

This has nothing to do with "private key sharing". Private keys are
usually protected by some hardware device which does not allow to export
these keys.
However, a legitimate user can *use* his hardware device which means
that he can ask to his device to perform some cryptographic computation
with the private keys
that are stored in it.

In the past, when doing a threat analysis, only external attackers were
being considered. Collaborative attacks is a different kind of threat
that should also be considered.
However, it only applies to some specific contexts:

    If the security token contains a sufficient number of attributes
    that allows to fully identify the bearer, the bearer will probably
    refuse to collaborate with anybody else,
    because that other body could fully impersonate him.

    If the security token contains one or more attributes that do not
    allow to fully identify the bearer, the bearer may accept to
    collaborate with somebody else, because
    he cannot be identified. Typical examples of such an attribute are:
    "over 18" or "resident of Florida". Such attributes may allow to
    access to a service.

Any solution using software only is unable to counter collaborative
attacks. Any solution using hardware devices that are only protecting
the private keys, /but not their usag//e/,
are also unable to counter collaborative attacks. The topic has nothing
to do with generic PKI principles and guidelines. However, adding some
additional explanations into
the security considerations section along those provided above could be
useful.

Denis