[Unbearable] Alissa Cooper's Discuss on draft-ietf-tokbind-https-14: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Alissa Cooper <alissa@cooperw.in> Wed, 09 May 2018 17:54 UTC

From: Alissa Cooper <alissa@cooperw.in>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-tokbind-https@ietf.org, John Bradley <ve7jtb@ve7jtb.com>, tokbind-chairs@ietf.org, ve7jtb@ve7jtb.com, unbearable@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 09 May 2018 10:54:03 -0700
Subject: [Unbearable] Alissa Cooper's Discuss on draft-ietf-tokbind-https-14: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Alissa Cooper has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-tokbind-https-14: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tokbind-https/

DISCUSS:

Section 2.1 says:

"The scoping of Token Binding key pairs generated by Web browsers for
   use in first-party and federation use cases defined in this
   specification (Section 5), and intended for binding HTTP cookies,
   MUST be no wider than the granularity of "effective top-level domain
   (public suffix) + 1" (eTLD+1).  I.e., the scope of Token Binding key
   pairs is no wider than the scope at which cookies can be set (see
   [RFC6265]), but MAY be more narrow if cookies are scoped more
   narrowly."

My reading of RFC 6265 is that it does not actually forbid cookie setting at a
scope wider than eTLD+1, although I could be reading Section 5.3 of that
document wrong. That section says that if the user agent is configured to
reject public suffixes, then there is a case where a set-cookie request should
be ignored. If the intent here is to normatively restrict the scope of Token
Binding key pairs to eTLD+1 regardless of whether the user agent restricts
cookies to that scope, that needs to be stated clearly.

I kind of hate to say this but with the way this is phrased I also think you
need a normative reference for the concept of "effective top-level domain." (I
suspect this would be considered a downref and may not already be in the
downref registry, but I'm not one to make a fuss about that.)

COMMENT:

I would also suggest s/but/and/ in the last sentence quoted from 2.1 above.