Re: initial "relative-looking" elements.

"Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu> Fri, 02 May 1997 01:56 UTC

To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
cc: uri@bunyip.com
Subject: Re: initial "relative-looking" elements.
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 18:34:39 -0700
From: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Sender: owner-uri@bunyip.com

>Is it necessary to adjust the algorithm, or just to add some
>additional algorithms for "testing broken links"?

I guess what would be needed is a step after step 6g in the example
algorithm, saying

    h) If the resulting buffer string still begins with one or more
       complete path segments of "..", then the reference is considered
       to be in error.  Implementations may handle this error by
       retaining these components in the resolved path (i.e., treating
       them as part of the final URL), by removing them from the
       resolved path (i.e., discarding relative levels above the root),
       or by avoiding traversal of the reference.

And the equivalent added to the abnormal example in section C.2.

....Roy    [very busy on other things at the moment, which is why I
            haven't answered a lot of other mail]