Re: IANA registration of URL schemes

Martin J. Dürst <mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch> Tue, 26 August 1997 10:26 UTC

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 12:14:50 +0200
From: "Martin J. Dürst" <mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch>
To: Theresa Rhoades <Theresa_Rhoades@hp.com>
Subject: Re: IANA registration of URL schemes
Sender: owner-uri@bunyip.com

Hello Theresa,

There is currently an IETF working group working on guidelines
for URL registration. Registration of new URLs has to wait until
this is completed. Your help in this working group may therefore
be helpful to speed up the process. For more details on the WG,
please see http://www.ietf.org/ and look for working groups
in the application area. I have also forwarded this mail to the
mailing list of that group; for future mail, please use only
that list, and not the current uri list, which only deals with
URL syntax.

There is already a draft about the various things that have
to be considered for a new URL scheme. But I can't find it's
name at the moment, maybe somebody else can help.

One point that is rather important for IETF process is that
the specification (not only of the URL itself, but also of
the actual protocol, as far as I know) is publicly available,
and I don't know whether your registration process, which I
just went through, would qualify.

There are of course a lot of other things that need to be
checked. I think it would be a good idea for you to start
and try to write up an internet-draft about the URL, which
later can become an RFC. This will help us to understand
the procotol and the URL format and allow us to give you
feedback.

With kind regards,	Martin.

On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Theresa Rhoades wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I work for Hewlett-Packard, in the Informatin Appliance Operation.  I am
> looking at registering a URL scheme for the JetSend protocol that we
> recently announced.  For more information, please refer to
> http://www.jetsend.hp.com.
>
> I have read the RFC 1738 specification, and am now looking for details
> on such procedures.  Could you please direct me toward the appropriate
> place in the IANA to get this accomplished?
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Theresa Rhoades

>               /                    Theresa M. Rhoades
> 	     /                     Information Appliance Operation, R&D Lab
> 	    ____       ___  /      Hewlett-Packard Company
> 	   /     /    /    /       11311 Chinden Blvd.  Boise, ID  83714
> 	__/   __/    _____/        208.308.7861  Fax:  208.396.5617
> 	            /              E-Mail: Theresa_Rhoades@hp.com

----
Dr.sc.  Martin J. Du"rst			    ' , . p y f g c R l / =
Institut fu"r Informatik			     a o e U i D h T n S -
der Universita"t Zu"rich			      ; q j k x b m w v z
Winterthurerstrasse  190			     (the Dvorak keyboard)
CH-8057   Zu"rich-Irchel  NEW TEL: +41 1 63 543 16
 S w i t z e r l a n d	  NEW FAX: +41 1 63 568 09  Email: mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch
----