Re: Advice on NID for media fingerprint

Jonas Oberg <jonas@fsfe.org> Tue, 03 May 2016 18:21 UTC

Date: Tue, 03 May 2016 20:21:25 +0200
From: Jonas Oberg <jonas@fsfe.org>
To: Sean Leonard <dev+ietf@seantek.com>
Subject: Re: Advice on NID for media fingerprint
Cc: urn-nid@apps.ietf.org

Hi Dale, Sean,

many thanks for your feedback, it's well appreciated. The collision rate
of any algorithm in this line of work is almost bound to be larger than,
say, MD5 or SHA1. We can not exclude collissions, though some algorithms
are less likely to cause them than others.

Ultimately, the uniqueness is application-dependant: for some uses, a
fingerprint may offer more collisions, when having two or more works
identified by the same fingerprint provide useful information about
the relation between those images.

For other uses, a more unique fingerprint may be choosen if it's more
important to distinguish the individual works. We took inspiration
from RFC 1737 in this, where the authors in section 5 open up for the
possibility of allowing the naming authority to determine to what
extent they should distinguish resources from each other.

However, your point is well taken, and it could indeed be we should
consider another scheme for this. A URI scheme does not seem relevant
or useful, but perhaps we simply make do with a defined URL scheme
instead :-)

Sincerely,
Jonas

--