Re: [urn] continued use of urn-nid@ietf.org list

Juha Hakala <juha.hakala@helsinki.fi> Mon, 12 January 2015 10:22 UTC

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 12:22:19 +0200
From: Juha Hakala <juha.hakala@helsinki.fi>
To: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>, John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
Subject: Re: [urn] continued use of urn-nid@ietf.org list
Cc: Helmi-Kanerva Tuori <helmi-kanerva.tuori@helsinki.fi>, urn-nid@ietf.org, "urn@ietf.org" <urn@ietf.org>, Esa-Pekka Keskitalo <esa-pekka.keskitalo@helsinki.fi>

Hello,

On 9.1.2015 5:50, Barry Leiba wrote:

> 1. The IESG has just given approval for draft-higgs-hbbtv-urn, and as
> soon as he posts a new version I'm going to let it go out.  That
> covers the in-process ones.
>
> 2. I will not start processing on any other URN namespace requests
> until this WG has finished the update.

This should apply to the revision of existing namespaces - such as ISBN
and NBN - as well. But once the URN syntax has been updated, I'll
provide new versions of namespace registration requests for these
identifiers.

These identifiers will support f- and q-components. But specifying which
resolution services will (initially) be supported would not be really
useful, since any list would become outdated fairly soon. And resolvers
may support only a subset of potential services (or some informal
services which are not yet widely known).

> 3. I'll watch the time-frame on that, and reserve the right to
> reconsider at some point.
>
> Fair?

Depends on how long it will be necessary to wait. The National Library
of Finland wishes to register a URN namespace for International Standard
Collection Identifier (ISCI), but we can wait a few weeks / months.

Best regards,

Juha