Re: [urn] listed authors

Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com> Thu, 12 July 2012 01:17 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 21:17:58 -0400
From: Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com>
To: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>
Cc: "urn@ietf.org" <urn@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [urn] listed authors

Hi,

In the general case, indeed, there are many potential complexities.

In these particular cases, most of them don't apply.

The "new" documents are largely the same as the old ones:  they are not
rewritten from the ground up.  Instead, they have been updated to
reflect particular points this group is discussing as changes to the
spec -- not all of which may be kept for this WG's final version of the
document.

I, as one implicated author, and as chair of the original WG that
produced these documents, would indeed find it very disrespectful to
fail to acknowledge that properly in the updated documents.   And, I
don't think it's reasonable to suggest that the IETF should support a WG
rewriting that holus bolus as part of its process.

I think it's quite reasonable to list the current folks working on the
documents as authors if they are authoring.

I think it's quite reasonable to see if the original authors are willing
and able to continue to be listed (and responsive, eg during AUTH48) and
responsible for document content.

I'm happy to help try to reach the various authors at current addresses.
(Since they've already been asking _me_ about the outcome of this issue...).

Leslie.