Re: [urn] URN fragments

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im> Fri, 22 February 2013 03:37 UTC

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 20:36:54 -0700
From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
To: Juha Hakala <juha.hakala@helsinki.fi>
Cc: "urn@ietf.org" <urn@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [urn] URN fragments

On 2/21/13 4:36 AM, Juha Hakala wrote:
> Hello Peter; all,
>
> Concerning this:
>> Could you also explain (perhaps in a separate thread) the
>> intended use of the fragment identifier?
> It took a while before the bibliographic community got a
> sufficient grasp of how fragment can best be used in the URN
> context. Initially we thought that fragment should be part of the
> URN namespace specific string, but we realized soon that that would
> complicate things a lot. Since many (most, probably) standard
> namespaces do not allow add-ons to identifier strings, this:
>
> Ex. 1http://urn.fi/URN:ISBN:978-952-10-7670-1
>
> would have been possible, but not this (NOTE: this is only an
> example)
>
> Ex. 2http://urn.fi/URN:ISBN:978-952-10-7670-1#chapter2
>
> Moreover, adding a fragment to an existing URN would in this case
> have been an act of identifier assignment, which in some namespaces
> is a managed process, so too few people would have been allowed to
> use fragments with URNs.
>
> Eventually Alfred Hoenes, myself and others concluded that the
> best solution is to separate identification & URN assignment from
> fragment assignment, that is, not to include fragment in the NSS.
> Which means that fragments can be added to the URN by anybody, any
> time after the URN has been assigned and the document made
> available (via URN resolution) in the Internet.

Hi Juha, this model sounds similar to what you described for the query
component: the fragment can be "added to the URN". I'm not sure what
that means. When you add a query component or a fragment identifier to
the URN, is that now a different URN (which wasn't assigned by the
minting organization or in accordance with the minting algorithm)? Or
is "a URN with some additional data appended" and therefore not really
a URN anymore? Or is actually a URI (such as an HTTP URI) whose path
is the URN itself as just a string of characters embedded in the
broader URI?

Still confused,

Peter

- --