[urn] Some more thoughts on draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-02

Bengt Neiss <bengt.neiss@kb.se> Wed, 01 February 2012 14:18 UTC

From: Bengt Neiss <bengt.neiss@kb.se>
To: "urn@ietf.org" <urn@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 14:18:33 +0000
Subject: [urn] Some more thoughts on draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-02

Hello all..

Some more thoughts on the text..

1.       Page 6, first paragraph, last sentence says the following - "All manifestations of a resource SHOULD be interlinked, for example via providing persistent links in the descriptive metadata". I think we need to define or explain what we mean with the term "persistent link" in this document. It's a term that, I believe, have a slightly different meaning in different user communities.

2.       Page 13, a paragraph near the end states that "All two-letter codes are reserved by the ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency for either existing and possible future ISO country codes (or for private use)". I think this paragraph is somewhat redundant and could be removed due to the fact that in the formal declaration for the NSS we state that the "iso_cc" part is "country code as assigned by ISO 3166" and as I understand it two-letter codes (that aren't ISO 3166 codes) are allowed as a "subspc", like urn:nbn:se:kb:abc-123.

3.       On page 7, second paragraph from top has a sentence that says "In these cases , the resolution process SHOULD link the URN:NBN to a URI belonging to an object such as a text file containing a chapter of a book". I think the word "link" should be "resolve" in this sentence. Is the term "URI" the correct one to use or should it be changed to "URL" possibly.

4.       I think there is a need to revise the use of the acronym NBN in the text. Sometimes it refers to National Bibliography Number in a literal sense and sometimes, it seems to me, being used in the meaning URN:NBN. It could be a source for confusion for readers. It might be that my English is not good enough though...so...

5.       I think there is an error in chapter 1.2, Background properties of URNs, in "draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-01" where it states that the properties found in RFC 1738 etc. Shouldn't it be RFC 1737.

6.       One more thing - should text-proposals be sent to the list or directly to the editor(s)?

Regards,

//Bengt

Bengt Neiss
Kungl. Biblioteket / National Library of Sweden
Phone: +46 (0)10 709 35 41