Re: [urn] A 'newbie' question on the terminology used in RFCs

Juha Hakala <juha.hakala@helsinki.fi> Wed, 25 January 2012 12:33 UTC

Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 14:33:22 +0200
From: Juha Hakala <juha.hakala@helsinki.fi>
To: Alfred Hoenes <ah@TR-Sys.de>
Cc: julian.reschke@gmx.de, urn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [urn] A 'newbie' question on the terminology used in RFCs

Hello,

RFC 2119, which is the sole authority as regards this issue, uses
(certainly intentionally) both upper-case and lower-case versions of
these words, and these terms do have different semantics:

>    Imperatives of the type defined in this memo must be used with care
>    and sparingly.  In particular, they MUST only be used where it is
>    actually required for interoperation...

I have followed the policy Alfred outlines below which is identical to
the spirit of RFC 2119. In the I-Ds I have drafted must and MUST do not
mean the same thing. IMHO it would be less clear to the reader what the
relation between MUST and terms like have to, ought to, etc. would be.
And there would be no place to check this.

My conclusion from the discussion is that there is no need to change the
current, RFC 2119 -based policy. I fail to see how any changes could
make semantics more clear but there are definitely many ways to create a
muddle by using terms which are not within the scope of RFC 2119. And
IMHO we ought to (;-)) avoid such a situation.

Alas, not all standards organizations follow an identical policy as
IETF. For instance, if an RFC is published as an ISO standard, some
subtle changes will be necessary. I have been asked to change a quote
(!) from an RFC since the terminology in the quote did not match the ISO
rules.

Juha

--

  Juha Hakala
  Senior advisor, standardisation and IT

  The National Library of Finland
  P.O.Box 15 (Unioninkatu 36, room 503), FIN-00014 Helsinki University
  Email juha.hakala@helsinki.fi, tel +358 50 382 7678