Re: [urn] Stephen Farrell's Abstain on draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-21: (with COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Thu, 02 March 2017 14:33 UTC

To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 14:33:34 +0000
Cc: urn@ietf.org, draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn@ietf.org, urnbis-chairs@ietf.org, barryleiba@computer.org
Subject: Re: [urn] Stephen Farrell's Abstain on draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-21: (with COMMENT)

Hi John,

For context (that I'm sure isn't needed for some of you,
but will nonetheless spell out just in case:-), as I'm
an abstain ballot, I'm not blocking this, but I am happy
to chat of course.

That said, yes, I think it would be good and sufficient
to highlight the need for privacy to be considered as
part of evaluations here, and I'd also hope that the IESG
when appointing DEs keep that in mind. I also agree that
there's a danger here of trying to police things too
much, hence my reference to rfc6919 and it's fine concept
of "MUST (but we know you won't)" that is worth avoiding
in any text we add about privacy.

Anyway, yes I think a bit more text that emphasises that
there can be (for some folks, unexpected) privacy issues
here and a pointer to the example of rfc7254 should be
fine.

If it helps for me to try help craft a bit of text along
those lines, I'm happy to help with that, but I'm also
happy for the folks involved to just do that if they so
choose.

Cheers,
S.