[urn] Fragments Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-02.txt

Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com> Sun, 25 March 2012 13:00 UTC

Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 09:00:16 -0400
From: Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com>
To: urn@ietf.org
Subject: [urn] Fragments Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-02.txt

Hi,

I am having troubles reconciling this use of fragments with RFC3986, the
URI syntax document.

My understanding of RFC3986 suggests that fragments are strictly and
uniquely tied to media, and thus would be applied to the results of a
URN resolution, irrespective of namespace.

in whatever way makes sense for the media type of what you got back.

The issue with doing that with URNs is:  they are designed to be
flexible enough to support multiple types of response -- the URN does
not designate a type.

For example, you might get a PDF back instead of HTML, and then your
HTML #<fragment> will be pointless.

Even if you say (as the document currently does) that fragments are
allowed only on a per-namespace basis, I am concerned that the resulting
URN namespaces would have to be severely limited in terms of URN
functionality:  you are essentially saying that those namespaces must be
architected such that they only ever return single media type responses,
or responses for which the fragments will make sense across all
supported types.  That is very constraining on the namespace, and the
use of URNs, IMO.

For myself, this doesn't make the case that the URN syntax can be
updated to allow the use of fragment identifiers.

And, if the consensus winds up being that this does make the case to
allow that, I would further argue that the text describing the
per-namespace use considerations would need

1/  a very thorough review by URI experts to make sure it actually would
hold water,

2/ to be clear about the constraints it puts on the overall URN
namespace in question

3/ to be in a separate document all on its own, because it is severely
distracting from a document that is meant to be the description of the
syntax of URNs in general.

Leslie.