Re: [urn] I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg-01.txt

Alfred Hönes <ah@TR-Sys.de> Mon, 31 October 2011 22:52 UTC

From: Alfred Hönes <ah@TR-Sys.de>
To: urn@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 23:51:45 +0100
Subject: Re: [urn] I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg-01.txt

internet-drafts@ietf.org wrote:

> directories. This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource
> Names, Revised Working Group of the IETF.
>
>   Title     : Uniform Resource Name (URN) Namespace Definition Mechanisms
>   Author(s) : Alfred Hoenes
>   Filename  : draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg-01.txt
>   Pages     : 29
>   Date      : 2011-10-31
>
>   Uniform Resource Names (URNs) are intended to serve as persistent,
>   location-independent, resource identifiers.  To structure and
>   organize their usage, the URN syntax specifies a hierarchy that
>   divides the set of possible URNs into "URN Namespaces" that can be
>   individually defined and managed.  URN Namespaces in particular serve
>   to map existing identifier systems into the URN system and thereby
>   make available generic, network-based resolution services for the
>   identified documents, artifacts, and other objects (and their
>   metadata).
>
>   To actually leverage such synergetic advantage, URN Namespaces need
>   to be specified in a comparable manner, and their Namespace
>   Identifiers (NIDs) need to be registered with IANA, so that naming
>   conflicts are avoided and implementers of services can follow a
>   structured approach in support of various namespaces, guided by the
>   registry to the related documents and the particularities of specific
>   namespaces, as described in these namespace registration documents.
>
>   This document serves as a guideline for authors of URN Namespace
>   definition and registration documents.  It describes the essential
>   content of such documents and how they shall be structured to allow
>   readers familar with the scheme to quickly assess the properties of a
>   specific URN Namespace.  Further, this RFC describes the process to
>   be followed to get a URN Namespace registered with IANA.
>
>   This document is a companion document to the revised URN Syntax
>   specification, RFC 2141bis; it supersedes and replaces RFC 3406.
>

> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg-01.txt

> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>
> This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg-01.txt

[[ speaking as the draft author/editor ]]

This is mainly an editorial update, based on received review
comments and a bit of on-list discussion.

Please see the newly amended Appendix D in the draft for the
open issues that need on-list discussion, state your opinions,
and provide replacement text snippets where deemed appropriate.

The delta information summary for this version inadvertently has
been dropped during XML debugging; it will be restituted in the
next draft version.

Best regards,
  Alfred.