Re: [urn] I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-04

Alfred Hönes <ah@TR-Sys.de> Mon, 22 October 2012 11:32 UTC

From: Alfred Hönes <ah@TR-Sys.de>
To: urn@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 13:30:40 +0200
Subject: Re: [urn] I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-04

URNbis folks,  (again speaking as the draft editor)

we have arrived at uploading a new version of the URN:NBN draft,
which accommodates discussion since the last draft version in
spring and the implications from the "A way forward ..." changes
to the rfc2141bis and rfc3406bis draft versions already submitted
this week.

Juha did the bulk of the work, but again, I should be blamed for
all the nasty nits and flaws still buried in the document.
Juha will speak up and supply additional information ASAP.

For a quick summary of changes, please see below.

Text parts of this memo related to query directives will need
to be revisited after consolidation with NBN stakeholders;
we hope that there will be progress in this matter soon, once
the expected discussion on the core documents settles.

Please study this draft in detail and send draft text related
comments.  The plan is to issue one or two additional draft
versions (also depending on progress with the two core documents)
before proceeding to WG Last Call for this document.

A few minutes ago, internet-drafts@ietf.org wrote:

> directories.
> This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource Names, Revised
> Working Group of the IETF.
>
>    Title     : Using National Bibliography Numbers as Uniform Resource Names
>    Author(s) : Juha Hakala
>                Alfred Hoenes
>    Filename  : draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-04.txt
>    Pages     : 20
>    Date      : 2012-10-22
>
> Abstract:
>    National Bibliography Numbers, NBNs, are used by the national
>    libraries and other organizations in order to identify various
>    resources such as digitized monographs.  Generally, NBNs are applied
>    to resources that do not have an established (standard) identifier
>    system of their own.
>
>    A URN (Uniform Resource Names) namespace for NBNs was established in
>    2001 in RFC 3188.  Since then, several European national libraries
>    have implemented URN:NBN-based systems.
>
>    This document replaces RFC 3188 and defines how NBNs can be supported
>    within the updated URN framework.  A revised namespace registration
>    (version 4) compliant to the RFC 3406bis draft is included.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-04

> http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-04

> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This new draft version contains the following incremental change
summary as an Appendix:

-------- snip --------

B.5.  draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-03 to -04

   -  specification of how to use URN query and fragment part based on
      the revised versions of rfc2141bis and rfc3406bis;
   -  various textual improvements and clarifications, including:
   -  textual alignments with rfc3187bis draft vers. -03;
   -  multiple editorial fixes and improvements.

-------- snip --------

Another Appendiz of the I-D contains the updated summary of essential
changes since RFC 3188:

-------- snip --------

Appendix A.  Significant Changes from RFC 3188

   Numerous clarifications based on a decade of experience with
   RFC 3188.

   Non-ISO 3166 (country code) based NBNs have been removed due to lack
   of usage.

   In accordance with established practice, the whole NBN prefix is now
   declared case-insensitive.

   Updated URN:NBN Namespace Registration template for IANA; whole
   document adapted to new URN Syntax document, RFC 2141bis, and new URN
   Namespace Registration document, RFC 3406bis.

   Use of query directives and fragment parts with this Namespace is now
   specified, in accordance with the aforementioned RFCs.

Best regards,
  Alfred.

~