Re: [urn] I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-03

Alfred Hönes <ah@TR-Sys.de> Fri, 19 October 2012 15:00 UTC

From: Alfred Hönes <ah@TR-Sys.de>
To: urn@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 16:57:55 +0200
Subject: Re: [urn] I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-03

URNbis folks,  (again speaking as the draft editor)

we have arrived at uploading a new version of the URN:ISBN draft,
which accommodates discussion since the last draft version in
spring and the implications from the "A way forward ..." changes
to the rfc2141bis and rfc3406bis draft versions already submitted
this week.

Juha did the bulk of the work in cooperation with Maarit, but
I should be blamed for all the nasty nits and flaws still buried
in the document.

For a quick summary of changes, please see below.

Text parts of this memo related to query directives will need
to be revisited after consolidation with the ISBN authorities;
we hope that there will be progress in this matter soon, once
the expected discussion on the core documents settles.

Please study this draft in detail and send draft text related
comments.  The plan is to issue one or two additional draft
versions (also depending on progress with the two core documents)
before proceeding to WG Last Call for this document.

A few minutes ago, internet-drafts@ietf.org wrote:

> directories.
> This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource Names, Revised
> Working Group of the IETF.
>
>    Title     : Using International Standard Book Numbers as
>                Uniform Resource Names
>    Author(s) : Maarit Huttunen
>                Juha Hakala
>                Alfred Hoenes
>    Filename  : draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-03.txt
>    Pages     : 22
>    Date      : 2012-10-19
>
> Abstract:
>    The International Standard Book Number, ISBN, is a widely used
>    identifier for monographic publications.  Since 2001, the URN
>    (Uniform Resource Name) namespace "ISBN" has been reserved for ISBNs.
>    The namespace registration was performed in RFC 3187 and applied only
>    to the ISBN as specified in the ISO Standard 2108-1992, now known as
>    "ISBN-10".  To allow for further growth in use, the successor ISO
>    Standard, ISO 2108:2005, has defined an expanded format for the ISBN,
>    known as "ISBN-13".  This document defines how both of these ISBN
>    standard versions can be supported within the URN framework.
>    Moreover, additional query and fragment usage related information
>    required by RFC 2141bis has been included.  An updated namespace
>    registration conformant to RFC 3406bis is provided.  It describes how
>    both the old and the new ISBN format can share the same namespace.
>
>    This document replaces RFC 3187; it also obsoletes and moves to
>    Historic status the predecessor thereof, RFC 2288.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-03

> http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-03

> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This new draft version contains the following incremental change
summary as an Appendix:

-------- snip --------

A.4.  draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-02 to -03

   - use of URI fragment is now allowed since they are not part of the
     NSS;
   - namespace registration template updated to conform with the -03
     version of the rfc3406bis draft
   - a few editorial updates, fixes, and enhancements.

A concise summary of the changes since RFC 3187 is planned to be
provided with the next update cycle.

Best regards,
  Alfred.