Re: [urn] I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-04

Juha Hakala <juha.hakala@helsinki.fi> Mon, 22 October 2012 12:36 UTC

Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 15:36:12 +0300
From: Juha Hakala <juha.hakala@helsinki.fi>
To: urn@ietf.org, Alfred Hoenes <ah@tr-sys.de>
Subject: Re: [urn] I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-04

Hello,

The new namespace registrations for URN:NBN and URN:ISBN have benefited
a lot from revisions Alfred has made to the I-Ds he is responsible of.
Both ISBN and NBN communities are likely to find e.g. query and fragment
valuable, and the latest versions of 2141bis and 3406bis provide a solid
basis for specifying how these URI features are to be used within a
particular URI namespace.

Given the usefulness of query and fragment in the PID context it is
obvious that people will start using them in URNs (in fact, I know one
project which is already using fragment). If the URN syntax
specification and the namespace registration guidelines say nothing
about how to use these features (or whether they can be used at all),
there can be a lot of confusion. People might use e.g. fragment when it
is not appropriate, or reinvent functionality available via query.
Therefore it would've been impractical to use Peter's slim URN syntax
variant as the starting point of these namespace registrations.

More generally, concerning this issue brought up by SM:

> I'll be candid. I took a quick look at the draft. About a third of the
> text in draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-03 is non-technical material.
> When I compare this draft with the one submitted by Peter Saint-Andre,
> I am inclined to pick the latter.

I support Alfred's point that many people who'll read URN-related RFCs
will not be familiar with IETF in general and the history of URNs in
particular, and it is important to provide them some background
information. A particularly important target group are people
representing identifier systems which may or may not register
namespaces. The key RFCs may be the only source of information at hand
when the process begins, and if these documents provide just the very
minimum of what is needed, some important namespace registrations may
never be produced. I have written namespace registration requests using
both the old, "skeletal" RFC 2141 and the new RFC2141bis, and IMHO the
new, more exhaustive document was more helpful. I am a librarian, not an
engineer, but writing a namespace registration request requires, first
and foremost, familiarity with the identifier standard and its usage.

All the best,

Juha