[urn] draft-ietf-urnbis-ns-reg-transition-07 just posted

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Tue, 09 May 2017 12:43 UTC

Date: Tue, 09 May 2017 08:43:20 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: urn@ietf.org
Subject: [urn] draft-ietf-urnbis-ns-reg-transition-07 just posted

Hi.  With 2141bis published as RFC 8141, I believe the WG has
one more significant task, to finish up the transition document
for ISBNs, ISSNs, and, to some extent, NBNs.  That is largely
housekeeping work and should not be controversial.

draft-ietf-urnbis-ns-reg-transition-07 has been posted; I hope
it is ready, or nearly ready, for WGLC.

This version reflects one major change as compared to -06
(posted in March 2016) and earlier versions.  Those drafts
assumed that this document would be published simultaneously
with 2141bis, necessitating inclusion of sample templates and
language about the relationship between those templates and
actual registrations, all of which turned out to be confusing
and potentially very long.  Because 2141bis has been published
and the new procedures are therefore in place, the relevant
templates will be submitted to IANA within the next few days,
the convoluted text has been removed and replaced by
(temporarily forward-pointing) references to the IANA
registrations, and the text cleaned up in other places to
correspond.

The NBN spec was taken off the WG's agenda some time ago, so
promises about it have been removed from this draft.  I have
been helping Juha with that draft and hope in will be posted in
the next few weeks, but do not expect it to become a WG work
item again.

There is also some of the usual editorial work (thanks to Barry,
Peter, and Juha) but none of it should be substantive.

Please review so we can get this phase in URN development
wrapped up.

best,
   john