Re: [urn] [IANA #1275238] URN:NAN registration request

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Fri, 23 June 2023 04:10 UTC

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 00:09:54 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
cc: urn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [urn] [IANA #1275238] URN:NAN registration request

Peter,

In my capacity as a long-ago dropout from the review effort, I
have nonetheless let my curiosity get the best of me and read
through the application.  It raises one question that I think
would be usefully addressed: even if it is just an example to be
considered by others, what recommendation would Finland make
about when to use an NBN (RFC 8458 and mentioned in the
application) and when to use an NAN?  Given that national
entities make up their own rules, it would almost certainly be
inappropriate to have a firm rule.  However, given that
"national archives and their partner organizations" would often
include the national libraries that are the assigners of NBNs,
some advisory suggestions as to the boundary would, I think, be
helpful.  If not, why not just use NBNs and assign subspace
identifiers to the archives and such other their partners who
are not already partners of the libraries?

best,
   john

--On Thursday, June 22, 2023 21:02 -0600 Peter Saint-Andre
<stpeter@stpeter.im> wrote:

> [...]
>> resolution service for NAN-based URNs is technically possible
>> but not described herein; thus, questions of secure or
>> authenticated resolution mechanisms and authentication of
>> users are out of scope of this document.
>>
>> Although no validation mechanisms are specified on the global
>> level (beyond a routine check of those characters that
>> require special encoding when employed in URIs), NANs
>> assigned by any given authority can have a well-specified and
>> rich syntax (including, e.g., fixed length and checksum). In
>> such cases, it is possible to validate the correctness of
>> NANs programmatically.
>>
>> Issues regarding intellectual property rights or
>> confidentiality associated with objects identified by the
>> URN:NANs are beyond the scope of this document, as are
>> questions about rights to the databases that might be used to
>> construct resolution services.
>>
>> No specific security threats have been identified for
>> URN:NANs.
>>

>> Interoperability:
>>
>> There is no international standard identifier system URN:NANs
>> would replace. URN:NAN is compliant with existing local
>> identifier systems, and will assist the national archives and
>> their partners in making these systems actionable and
>> globally unique.
>>
>> Some overlap with other URN namespaces is possible, depending
>> on the archived resources.
>>
>> NANs may contain characters which must be percent-encoded
>> when presented as URN:NANs.
>>

>> Resolution:
>>
>> Depending on the local policy and the nature of the
>> identified resource, URN:NANs may or may not be actionable.
>>
>> No centralized resolution service for URN:NANs will be
>> established. Country-code-based prefix part of the URN:NAN
>> namespace-specific string will provide a hint needed to find
>> the correct resolution service for a URN:NAN.
>>

>> Additional Documentation:
>>
>> None
>>

>> Revision Information:
>>
>> None.

>> None.
>>
>> On Wed Jun 21 07:59:11 2023, urn.nan@kansallisarkisto.fi
>> wrote:
>>> Dear recipient,
>>>
>>> Please find attached the request by the National Archives of
>>> Finland to register the URN:NAN namespace for archival
>>> collections and resources. The namespace is modelled after
>>> URN:NBN registered by the National Library of Finland.
>>>
>>> If any further documentation or clarification is needed,
>>> please let me know.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Lauri Leinonen
>>>
>>> Tutkija/Forskare/Researcher
>>> Tutkimus ja innovaatiot/Forskning och innovation/Research and
>>> Innovation
>>> Kansallisarkisto/Riksarkivet/National Archives
>>> Rauhankatu/Fredsgatan 17
>>> PL/PB/P.O. Box 258, FI-00171
>>> Helsinki/Helsingfors, Finland
>>> puh./tel. +358 29 533 7398, +358 50 434 2761
>>> e-mail
>>> lauri.leinonen@kansallisarkisto.fi<mailto:lauri.leinonen@kan