Comments on draft-ietf-userglos-glossary2-00.txt

jayhawk@ds.internic.net Fri, 23 February 1996 16:12 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: jayhawk@ds.internic.net
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 09:28:54 -0500
To: usergloss@xylogics.com
Subject: Comments on draft-ietf-userglos-glossary2-00.txt

Folks-

Having looked through draft-ietf-userglos-glossary2-00.txt, I first want
to say I liked the vast majority of it.  It looks like a lot of work has
gone into putting the draft in the current form.  I do have some comments
and suggestions to add (worth about $0.02)...

Ryan Moats
InterNIC Directory and Database Services

==================comments

Address -> I think would should add the sentence "A fourth type of address,
a URL, or resource address is becoming more and more common on the internet" before the See also part.  If this is included, then URLs should be added to the See Also list.

Address Resolution Protocol -> Please add "Reverse Address Resolution Protocol" to the see also list.

BCP - Shouldn't we expand RFC the first time it is used in this entry?  Please add FYI and STD to the see also list.

Birds Of a Feather - Please Add "See also Working Group"

checksum - Please Add "See also cyclic redundancy check"

Coalition for Networked Information (CNI) - What are CAUSE and EDUCOM?  An expansion would be nice.  Are they worth entries?

Comite Consultatif International de Telegraphique et Telephonique (CCITT) - I am of the impression that the name is currently ITU-TS or ITU-T.

Coordinating Committee for Intercontinental Research Networks - Please expand FNC or add FNC to the See Also list to clarify things.

Cylic Redundancy Check - Please add "See also checksum"

DANTE - Second setence: Please replace "If" with "It"

Please add a datalink layer entry.

dialup - Please remove "standard" from the "standard phone line" (ISDN anyone?)

Domain Name System - Please add "Mail Exchange Record" to See also list

E1 - Please replace with "A European specification for transmitting data at 2.048 Mbps, it may be considered the analog of T1 in North America"

E3 - Please replace with "A European specification for transmitting data at 59.352 Mbps, it may be considered the analog of T3 in North America"

FLEA - Why is this in the E section?

encapsulation - I think this definition skips the datalink layer.

Four Letter Extended Acronym - Why is this in the E section?

finger - This is both a protocol and a program.  Please replace with "A protocol
that allows information about a system to be retrived, finger also refers to a
program that retrieves this information.  Information about all logged in users,
as well is information about specific users may be retrieved from local or
remote systems. Some sites consider finger to be a security risk and have
disabled it."

fragment - Please change "maximum packet size" with "Maximum Transmission Unit".
Please add "Maximum Transmission Unit" to the See also list.

FYI - Please add "BCP, STD" to See also list.

Gopher - Please insert "Developed at the University of Minnesota," to the start of the second setence.

header - Please change ", and error checking and other fields." in the first
sentence to ". The header might also contain error checking and other fields."
Please add "error checking" to see also list.

HTML - Please move the HTML entry to above the HTTP entry

hypertext - Please expand HTML or add HTML after Hypertext Markup Langauge in the See also list.

HyperText Markup Language - please expand SGML or add in the appropriate place of the See also list.

Intermediate System - Is it worth the trouble of adding "ES" and "ES-IS"
entries?

International Telecommunications Union - please add (ITU) to the heading

International Telecommunications Union - Telecommunications Standards Sector (ITU-TSS) - To be consistant with my previous point, I beleive Standards is no longer part of the name.

Knowbot - Please add "Knowbot Information Services, X.500, white pages, whois, netfind" to the See also list.

Knowbot Information Services - Please add "Knowbot, netfind" to the see also list.

Local Area Network (LAN) - Please add "Metropolitan Area Network" to See Also list.

maililng list - The use of "ALWAYS" is strong, considering that some working
group lists have requests handled by majordomo.  I would replace 'ALWAYS be sent
to the list's "-request" address' to 'be sent to the list's request address,
either "-request" (...) or "majordomo"'.  Please add "Moderator" to the See also list.

Maximum Transmission Unit - Please change "frame" to "fragment" in the See Also list.

mbone - Clarification, is it mbone or MBONE?

Negative Acknowledgement - Please replace "of a corrupted packet of information" to "of either a corrupted packet of information or unxpected information".

Pretty Good Privacy - Please add "Developed by Phil Zimmerman," to the beginning of the definition (credit where credit is due).

Read the F*cking Manual - Please add "See also Read the Source Code"

Please either add the entry for "Remote Copy Program" or remove the "RCP" entry.

Synchronous Optical NETwork (SONET) - Please add "the North American" to the first sentence.

T1 - Please replace "An AT&T" with "A".

virtual circuit - Please replace the first sentence with "A type of network which provides connection-oriented service without necessarily doing circuit-switching.

white pages - Please add "InterNIC and netfind" to the see also list

whois - please add "netfind" to the see also list

Please add working group item with reference to BOF.

X.500 - Please add "netfind, InterNIC" to see also list

Please add finger to the security list.

Please add the following entries:
"error checking - the process of using a field in a packet to determine if
received data is error free. See also checksum, cyclical redundancy check"
'Netfind - A research prototype to provide a simple Internet "white pages"
user directory.  Developed at the U of Colorado, Boulder, it tries to locate telephone and email information given a person's name and a rough description of where the person works.  See also Knowbot, whois, white pages, X.500'
"Read the Source Code - This acronym is often used when someone asks a question about an undocumented topic. See also Read the F*cking Manual"
"RTSC - See: Read the Source Code"
"SDH - See: Synchronous Digital Hierarchy"
"Synchronous Digital Hierarchy (SDH) - SDH is the European standard for high-speed data communications over fiber-optic media. The transmission rates range from 155.52 Mbps to 2.5 Gbps"