comments on glossary

April Marine <april@nisc.sri.com> Mon, 09 November 1992 20:14 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: April Marine <april@nisc.sri.com>
To: usergloss@xylogics.com
Cc: april@nisc.sri.com
Subject: comments on glossary
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1992 12:12:26 -0800

Since I won't be at the meeting next week, I thought I'd send my
comments online for Gary and Tracy and everyone (like anyone
else is that interested ;-).

Tried sending this Friday, but things here bombed.  Hope y'all don't
get two copies.  I doubt it, but apologies if so.

Glossary text is preceded by >s.  My suggestions are just there
as text, with my comments in {}s.

thanks,
April

>Abstract

>   there are entries for some basic terms and acronyms because they are
>   referenced by other entries.

there are entries for some basic terms and acronyms because other
entries refer to them.

>   :-)

>      `metacommunication', and there are literally hundreds of them,

`metacommunication', and there are literally hundreds of such symbols,

>   address

>      There are three types of address in common use within the

There are three types of addresses in common use within the
                                ^^

>   Address Resolution Protocol (ARP)

>      Used to dynamically discover the lowlevel physical network

Used to dynamically discover the low level physical network
                                    ^^ {two words}

>   address space

>      A collection of addresses that form a unified collection, such as
>      an internetwork.

{huh? is it just me or is this so vague as to be delete-able?}

>   Advanced Research Projects Agency Network (ARPANET)

>      A pioneering long haul network funded by ARPA (now DARPA).  It
>      served as the basis for early networking research as well as a

A pioneering longhaul network funded by ARPA (now DARPA).  It
                ^^ {one word?}
served as the basis for early networking research, as well as a
                                                 ^ {comma}

>      ARPANET consisted of individual packet switching computers
>      interconnected by leased lines.  See also: Defense Advanced
{this  might be a little vague for purists; I think you had hosts
{connected to IMP/PSN computers, and PSNs connected thru lines.  Probably
{picking nits here--sounds like the hosts were connected thru lines}

>   application layer

>                                                         For example,
>      getting a certain record from a file by key value on a foreign
>      node is an application layer concern.

{what? 'by key value'???}

>   Comite Consultatif International de Telegraphique et Telephonique
>      (CCITT)
>      This organization is part of the United National International
                                               Nations {??}
>      Telecommunications Union (ITU) and is responsible for making
[...]
>      standards; a session is planned for 1992.

{Wouldn't that 1992 session have taken place by the time this is out?
{Should we change the tense there?  And are we sure about that French in
{the name?  Just wondering.}

>   connectionless

>      may take different route, as each is ...
                          routes,

>   Corporation for Research and Educational Networking (CREN)
>      This organization was formed in October 1989, when Bitnet and
>      CSNET (Computer & Science NETwork) were combined under one
>      administrative authority.  See also: Bitnet.

{This definition doesn't say what CREN *does*.}

>   Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)

>      version of Unix and TCP/IP.  The New York Times business section
>      called DARPA "America's answer to Japan's MITI."

{This last bit is interesting, I'm sure, but only if we define what
{the heck MITI is.  I vote to delete last sentence here.}

>   Defense Data Network (DDN)

>      Defense composed of MILNET and other portions of the Internet.

{Seems to me that part of the DDN also encompasses nets not part
{of the Internet.  Perhaps ScottW could clear this up.}

>   Defense Data Network Network Information Center (DDN NIC)
>      The DDN NIC's (often called "The NIC") primary responsibility is
>      the assignment of Internet network addresses and Autonomous System
>      numbers.

The DDN NIC's (often called "The NIC") primary responsibility is
the assignment of Internet network addresses, Autonomous System
numbers, the administration of the root domain, and providing information
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and support services to the DDN.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
{Again, ScottW might want to check/correct that.}

>   Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA)

{I heard these guys might be changing their name again??}}

>   distributed database
>      Looks to the user like a single database but is in fact a
>      collection of several different data repositories.

A collection of several different data repositories that looks
like a single database to the user.

>   Domain Name System (DNS)

>      service.  The principal use is the look up of host IP addresses
                                          lookup {one word, I think?}

>   encryption

>      There are many type of data encryption, and they are the basis of
                      types

>   Federal Networking Council (FNC)

>      Internet.  Current members include representatives from DOD, DOE,
>      DARPA, NSF, NASA, and HHS.  See also: Defense Advanced Research

{Spell these out.  I don't even know what HHS is for sure and I don't
{think we should expect our overseas friends to now US Govt acronyms.}

>   hacker

>                            A hacker is breaks into systems because
>      of curiosity, not maliciousness.  See also: cracker.

{Hmm.  Interesting to see if the security guys let this through. It
{sounds like we're saying it's ok to break in if you're just curious.
{I understand the distinction, but try explaining it in a court of law.
{"But, your honor, I was *hacking*, not *cracking*.  The distinction is
{clear in the UserGlos!"  I think maybe we should stick the word
{"traditional" in here somewhere, saying, "In the past, hackers were a
{traditional part of Internet culture."  And I think we should also
{admit that many people use the word hacker when they mean cracker,
{so the meaning is changing despite our wishes to preseve the carefree
{days of yore.}

>   header

>      fields.  A header is also the part of a message that precedes the

fields.  A header is also the part of an electronic mail message that
precedes the                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>   host address
>      The host portion of an IP address.  It uniquely identifies a host
>      within a network.  See also: IP address, network address, subnet

{Hmm.  This sounds like "22" is a host address because that's the
{host part of the IP address for the host I'm using now.  I think
{this definition need work.  Maybe "The dotted decimal number
{that uniquely identifies a host."??}

>   IEN
>      See: Internet Experiment Note

{I thought this was Internet *Engineering* Note.  Did we already have
{this discussion?  I've looked it up and found references both ways.
{No wonder I'm confused.}

>   International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
>      A voluntary, nontreaty organization founded in 1946.  Its members
>      are the national standards organizations of the 89 member
>      countries, including ANSI for the U.S.  See also: American

{This doesn't tell what they *do*.}

>   Internet

>      world.  Is a three level hierarchy composed of backbone networks
>      (e.g. NSFNET, MILNET, CREN), mid-level networks, and stub

{CREN is not a net; it's a corporationi.}

>      also:backbone, mid-level network, stub network, transit network,
       also:  backbone  {add space}

>      Internet Protocol, Corporation for Research and Educational
>      Networks, National Science Foundation.
             ^^^
{CREN's definition shows it as Corporation for Research and Educational
{Networking.}
        ^^^

>   Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)
>      The IANA is the central registry for various Internet protocol

The central registry for various Internet protocol...
{Normally you don't start with a complete sentence.}

>                                                       To request an
>      number assignment, contact

                                                       To request a
      number assignment, contact                                   ^ {del 'n'}

>   Internet-Draft (I-D)

{So, does I-D have a hyphen between the full name or not?  If it
{does, as you list, why doesn't the headers of the doc we're reviewing
{have a hyphen?  I vote no hyphen in full name, hyphen in acronym.
{I guess the Secretariat can decide.}

{You might also note that individuals can also submit I-Ds.  Sounds
{like only the IETF, Areas, and WGs can.}

>   Internet Research Task Force (IRTF)

{This definition is scant compared to that of the IESG.  Of course, it
{may be a moot point now.  But we might want to be a bit more forthcoming.}

>   IRSG
>      See: Internet Research Task Force Steering Group

See: Internet Research Steering Group  {delete 'Task Force'}

>   layer
>      Communication networks for computers may be organized as a set of,
>      more or less, independent protocols, each in a different layer

Communication networks for computers may be organized as a set of
more or less independent protocols, each in a different layer
{delete commas around "more or less"}

>      advantages of different layers of protocols is that the methods of
>      passing information from one layer to another is specified clearly

advantages of different layers of protocols is that the methods of
passing information from one layer to another are specified
                                              ^^^

>   MAC address

>   See also: Ethernet, token ring.
                                  , MAC.
                                  ^^^^^^

>   mailing list

>      means that messages sent to the list are actually set to a
                                                         sent
>      moderator(s) who determines whether or not to send the messages on

{either delete that '(s)' after 'moderator' or change the wording
{to "are actually sent to one or more moderators who determine...}

>   Management Information Base (MIB)

>      minimal MIBs have been defined, and vendors often Private

 {missing a verb here                    --->    ^^^^^^^^^^^^ }

>   Media Access Control (MAC)

>                         See also: Ethernet, Logical Link Control,
>      token ring, MAC address.
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^

>   National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
>      United States governmental body that provides assistance for
>      standards-making.  Formerly the National Bureau of Standards.

{"standards-making"?  How about "body that provides assistance
{in developing standards."}

>   National Research and Education Network (NREN)
>      The planned successor to the connected Internet that will provide

{Don't think NREN is universally considered the "successor" to the Internet.}

>   National Science Foundation (NSF)
>      A government agency whose purpose is to promote the advancement of

A U.S. government agency
  ^^^^^

>   network address

>      network address is the first byte the IP address.  For a class B

network address is the first byte of the IP address.  For a class B
                                 ^^^^

>   Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP)

>      based transmission of news among the Internet community.

{for some reason, I'd vote to delete "among the Internet community." Seems
redundant or something.}

>   Network Operations Center (NOC)

>      monitored.  This center also usually serves as a clearinghouse for
>      problems and efforts to resolve those problems.  See also: Network

{Could we be more specific than just saying "problems"?  Can I call
{if my sink is stopped up?  Should I call if I don't know how to ftp?}

>   Online Computer Library Catalog

>      users.  The OCLC library information network has more than 10,000
>      libraries worldwide.  Libraries use the OCLC System for

users.  The OCLC library information network links more than 10,000
                                             ^^^^^ {??}

>   Packet INternet Groper (PING)

{Add: See also: ICMP}

>   Postal, Telegraph and Telephone (PTT)

{for sure a comma there?}

>      Outside the USA, PTT refers to a telephone service provider, that

Outside the USA, PTT refers to a telephone service provider, which
                                                             ^^^^^^
{I'm probaby abnormally picky about that/which; ignore it if you like.}

>   postmaster
>      The person responsible for taking care of mail problems, answering

The person responsible for taking care of electronic mail problems, answering
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^

>   Prospero

>       A distributed filesystem which provides the user with the ability
                                 that
>      to create multiple views onto a single collection of files
                                on

>      system, file access is provided by existing access methods (e.g.
system, and file access is provided by existing access methods (e.g.
        ^^^

>   protocol stack
>      A set of functions, one at each layer of the protocol stack, that
>      work together to provide a set of network services.  Each layer of

{It's not kosher to use the term we're defining as part of the definition.
{Try: "A set of layered functions that work together to provide a set of
{network services."  I'm not evern sure what "one at each layer
{of the protocol stack" means.}

>   Request For Comments (RFC)

>      are written up as RFCs.  The RFC series of documents are unusual
                                                            is

>   Reseaux IP Europeenne (RIPE)
>      A collaboration between networks in Europe which use the TCP/IP
>      protocol suite.

A collaboration between European networks that use the TCP/IP
protocol suite.

>   Reverse Address Resolution Protocol (RARP)
>      A protocol, defined in RFC 903, which provides the reverse
                                       that

>      internet address.  It is used primarily by diskless nodes, when
>      they first initialize, to find their internet address.  See also:

internet address.  It is used primarily by diskless nodes when
they first initialize to find their internet address.  See also:

{delete commas around "when they first initialize"}

>   router
>      A device which forwards traffic between networks based on network
                that
>      layer information and routing tables, often constructed by routing

{technically, I think this structure means that the networks are
{based on network layer information, rather than the forwarding.}

>   routing

{Add to "See also": hop}

>   Structure of Management Information (SMI)

{Do we also want to mention that SMI is part of STD 16?}

>   subnet
>      A portion of a network, which ...
>                  ...   is distinguished by a subnet number.

{tsk tsk, using the term in its definition again!}

>   TCP/IP Protocol Suite

>      common shorthand which refers to the suite of transport and
>      application protocols which run over IP.  See also: IP, ICMP, TCP,
                                   runs {the suite runs}

>   Terminal Access Controller (TAC)
>      A device which connects terminals to the Internet, usually using
                that

>   transit network

>      carrying traffic for its own hosts.  It must have at paths to at
                                                         ^^^
{delete first "at"}

>   Usenet
>      Network of Unix users.  This is a loosely coupled network which
>      allows exchange information via electronic mail and newsgroups.
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

{Something too much or something missing.  How about "...which exchanges
information via..."?}

>   virus
>      A program which replicates itself on computers systems by
                                            computer^

>   Wide Area Information Servers (WAIS)
>      A distributed information service which offers simple natural
                                         that

>   Wide Area Network (WAN)
>      A network, usually constructed with serial lines, which covers
                                                         that
>      large geographic areas.  See also: Local Area Network,
      a large geographic area.

>   World Wide Web (WWW)

{Does Tim B-L prefer W3 as the "official" acronym here?}

>   worm
>      A computer program which replicates itself and is self-
                          that

------- End of Forwarded Message