Re: new entries

Jonathan Kochmer {NWNet} <jonathan@nwnet.net> Wed, 02 December 1992 19:50 UTC

Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1992 11:43:41 -0800
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Jonathan Kochmer {NWNet} <jonathan@nwnet.net>
Subject: Re: new entries
To: Gary Scott Malkin <gmalkin@xylogics.com>
Cc: usergloss@xylogics.com

On Tue, 1 Dec 1992, Gary Scott Malkin wrote:

> I've gotten some of the entries that people were supposed to send me,
> but I'm still missing a few.  The ones I know are missing are: hacker,

Here's the definition for "hacker" from the Glossary of "The Internet
Passport" (son of NUSIRG), which we'll be releasing in a few weeks:

  hacker

       A person who delights in having an intimate
       understanding of the internal workings of a
       system, in particular, computers or networks.
       For hackers, this understanding leads to an
       obsession with elegant solutions and extending
       the capabilities and functionality of the
       system in question. The popular press has used
       the word "hacker" for people who break into
       computers and networks, but such individuals
       should be referred to as "crackers." Confusing
       the terms "hacker" and "cracker" is bound to
       raise a hacker's hackles, for good reason. For
       a wonderful tour through the language and
       culture of hackers, see The Hacker's
       Dictionary, a must read.