Re: [v4tov6transition] Ways to break IPv6

Ed Jankiewicz <edward.jankiewicz@sri.com> Wed, 13 October 2010 14:14 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:13:52 -0400
From: Ed Jankiewicz <edward.jankiewicz@sri.com>
To: Joel Jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>
Cc: "v4tov6transition@ietf.org" <v4tov6transition@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v4tov6transition] Ways to break IPv6

  Good point, Joel, the future is now.  Some  recognize that IPv6 is
already here, others see it sometime in the distant future.  Operational
and security gaps arise from incompatible assumptions.

I haven't investigated what happened between versions of the network
security package I use, but it looks like it went from "don't care"
about IPv6, to block all (by default).  It does permit turning off that
firewall rule, so I can set it back to ignorance like the previous
version.  Sort of still leaves me without an IPv6 firewall at the
moment, but no worse than it was before, and I'm just an experimental user.

It does seem that security products, especially those for end-user
systems, are particularly behind the curve with IPv6 support.