Re: [v4tov6transition] [Softwires] ISP support of Native IPv6across NAT44 CPEs -Proposed 6a44 Specification

"Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> Thu, 07 October 2010 16:38 UTC

From: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
To: "Yiu L. Lee" <yiu_lee@cable.comcast.com>, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, Ole Troan <otroan@employees.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 09:39:21 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Softwires <softwires@ietf.org>, "v4tov6transition@ietf.org" <v4tov6transition@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v4tov6transition] [Softwires] ISP support of Native IPv6across NAT44 CPEs -Proposed 6a44 Specification

Hi Yiu,

I used the double tunneling example as something that
could be done and not necessarily something that should
be done - it is not at all a requirement of IRON, and
would not be as efficient as deploying IRON alone without
also deploying 6a44 or the like. But, it might be worth
noting that the hard-coded 1280 MTU precludes configuring
other tunnels over 6a44 tunnels.

AFAICT, if the ISPs want to let their customers set up
native IPv6 networks behind unmodified IPv4 NATs the
two choices are to 1) do nothing, and let outside
agencies deploy the IRON service, or 2) deploy the IRON
service themselves.

This gets back to a point that needs to be bumped up a
level in visibility. Some of these proposed approaches
are strictly provider-aggregated, which may be good for
the ISPs but maybe not so optimal for the customers. IRON
provides the customers with a provider-independent routing
and addressing service that can be carried over any ISP(s)
the customers happens to procure their basic connectivity
services from.

About complexity comparisons, based on my limited knowledge
of L2TP the IRON architectural principles don't have a
parallel in the L2TP model. But, when it comes to control
and data plane messaging, I can say with some confidence
based on the code I am writing that IRON is much simpler.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templion@boeing.com