[v4tov6transition] Ways to break IPv6

Ed Jankiewicz <edward.jankiewicz@sri.com> Wed, 13 October 2010 02:39 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 22:40:29 -0400
From: Ed Jankiewicz <edward.jankiewicz@sri.com>
To: v4tov6transition@ietf.org
Subject: [v4tov6transition] Ways to break IPv6

  this is not a surprise, it is something that has been predicted by
many as one of the "growing pains" of IPv6 transition.  Firewalls and
other security software will "support" IPv6 initially by just blocking
it - too much work (and too little demand) for a real implementation.

Just loaded an updated version of the commercial anti-virus package that
I've been using, let it remain nameless, it is certainly not the only
offender in this area.  Unlike the previous version this includes an
enhancement - it blocks all IPv6 and IPv6 over IPv4 traffic by default.
The firewall rule can be disabled.

If you are a network operator, there is a lot of mischief that can be
done by software that the end-user downloads onto their machines that
can make IPv6 appear broken.  This is another area that should get some
attention - how will customer service and help desk people be trained to
deal with "connectivity" problems the user can cause themselves?

It took me a while to figure this out, and I'm one of the people who
frequently predicted this would happen.  Imagine your average end-user
who knows nothing about IPv6 and expects that "it just works".  Also,
many books, websites and other security advice says "when in doubt, turn
off IPv6".  At least in the foreseeable future, this will continue to be
impedance against the uptake of IPv6.

--
Ed Jankiewicz - SRI International
Fort Monmouth Branch Office - IPv6 Research