Re: [v6ops] draft-palet-v6ops-transition-ipv4aas discussion

Lee Howard <lee@asgard.org> Mon, 23 April 2018 14:58 UTC

To: v6ops@ietf.org
From: Lee Howard <lee@asgard.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 10:58:03 -0400
Subject: Re: [v6ops] draft-palet-v6ops-transition-ipv4aas discussion

On 04/18/2018 03:34 PM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

> Hi Lee,
>
> Thanks a lot for your comments.
>
> I will review them in detail in a couple of days, in case there are
> other inputs, so we can work out a new version and hopefully publish
> already as WG item.
>
> Anyway, I’ve read all them and I think I agree in most of them.
>
> I’ve now only a few quick comments/question, in order to help with a
> good review of our actual text:
>
>  1. I think this document is also for small and medium ISPs, only big
>     ones have the power to specify the set of features they need. Not
>     sure if your second sentence disagree with that.

Yes, I agree. If it sounded like I didn't agree, I misspoke. Small ISPs
can select vendors who provide the features they want, but because of
their small purchases, they cannot specify new features.

>  1. 1.1 was taken from RFC7084. Do you think it will be better to use
>     the standard RFC2119 boilerplate?

No, I agree with the wording. I just think it's important to note the
difference for people who read a lot of RFCs.

>  1. I think the usage scenarios is important to readers that may be
>     don’t have a clear view on what is the CE we are talking about,
>     and in fact it was requested in one of the previous v6ops
>     presentations. Anyway, I will try to make it more “compressed”.
>  2. The “dynamic routing” comes from the original rfc7084, which
>     turned into the rfc7084-bis. I will check that from all my version
>     history on this document … and clarify or delete it.
>  3. I’m not 100% sure to understand your comment on the CLAT. I think
>     one of the keys is to allow deploying IPv6-only access while users
>     still can use devices in their LANs until they have incentives to
>     replace them, otherwise, customers will complain when they get
>     IPv6-only services (if using CLAT it is transparent for them).
>     CLAT can provide a NAT46, but then we need a also DNS46 ? If I got
>     you correctly, it is good that there is an incentive for replacing
>     IPv4-only devices because at some point there may be IPv6-only
>     services … so I think we should not make any new transition
>     mechanism to solve that problem?

Yes, you're right. Nevermind.

>  1. I think you mean “IPv4 service continuity” (not capitalized)

Yes.

>  1. Regarding 6rd, you mean this document should update RFC7084 and
>     remove 6rd requirements? I will agree on that …

Yes.

Lee