Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-enterprise-incremental-ipv6 WGLC

<christian.jacquenet@orange.com> Mon, 05 August 2013 08:23 UTC

From: <christian.jacquenet@orange.com>
To: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>, "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 10:23:02 +0200
acceptlanguage: fr-FR
Subject: Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-enterprise-incremental-ipv6 WGLC

WG,

I've read (and commented) this draft some time ago. This document is useful and I think it should move forward.

Regarding the ULA-related discussion, I don't think the document should simply ignore the potential use of such addresses, e.g., because our experience of providing IPv6 VPN service to our corporate customers since 2009 has shown that some of these customers ask for (and sometimes demand) a ULA-based addressing plan, mostly because these customers still think that private addressing provides some form of security.

This is partly an educational matter which we usually address by organizing training sessions within the enterprise, but the reality is that we could never avoid the discussion about ULA usage with these customers. And there are indeed a few of them who have chosen to go for an ULA addressing plan, at least for the duration of field trials or even pilot deployments.

I would therefore expect the draft to mention ULA addresses. But I would also expect the draft to clearly discourage the use of such addresses, for the reasons mentioned by Lorenzo in his recent message.

For the sake of readability, I would (1) remove the ULA-related text from Sections 2.4.2, 3.1 and 6.3, and (2) dedicate a specific "On ULA Addressing and Its Foreseen Implications" subsection in Section 2.6, which would better elaborate on the warnings highlighted in the aforementioned sections (e.g., Section 3.1's "use of PI space obviates the need for ULAs").

A few additional typos:

Section 2.1, page 7: "...after all initial *deployment* has been completed."
Section 2.2.2., page 9: s/recommend/recommended
Section 6.3, page 26: s/enterprise/university (second paragraph), s/campus enterprise/campus
Section 8, page 27: s/Jaquenet/Jacquenet

Cheers,

Christian.