Re: [v6ops] new draft: draft-servin-v6ops-monitor-ds-ipv6

"George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Wed, 17 July 2013 18:39 UTC

From: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: Arturo Servin <aservin@lacnic.net>, "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 14:39:03 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [v6ops] new draft: draft-servin-v6ops-monitor-ds-ipv6

This is a useful draft.

I've been doing some IPv6-only testing of websites listed in the world v6 launch participants, and found a lot of supposedly IPv6-capable sites that aren't fully functional over IPv6-only because some portion of them are still reliant on IPv4-only content/CDNs for images, CSS, subdomains, etc. Worse, I've found sites that simply aren't working over IPv6 anymore, and the operator of the site is unaware. This would be quite obvious if the site maintainers were completing their unit testing and monitoring over single-stack IPv6, but may well be masked by happy eyeballs if done dual-stack, so this draft will help to publicize this problem.

A few comments on the draft itself:

Section 2.1 and 6- an explicit recommendation to vendors that they SHOULD support use of IPv6 for all transport (RFC 6540) of monitoring, provisioning, and management data might be useful here. This is an area where vendors often lag because they've been focused on enabling support for IPv6 through the box, but it's becoming increasingly important for operators trying to conserve IPv4 addresses for end-customer use.

For completeness, you may want to briefly discuss NTP, Syslog, ssh, and other OAM-type traffic somewhere in section 2.

There is also a draft in progress in MPLS dealing with IPv6-only operation of MPLS networks (draft-george-mpls-ipv6-only-gap) that may contain some things relevant to this draft since it covers some of the aspects of OAM for MPLS networks.

Another consideration for this draft might be a recommendation to transition to single-stack (IPv6) as rapidly as possible for any tools that do not need to explicitly verify IPv4 operation. In other words, things like flow data transport, SSH, etc might be able to operate only over IPv6, while SNMP polls, HTTP tests, etc would need to remain dual stack so that they can verify IPv4 is working properly. Since dual-stack support means duplicating a lot of operations complexity (filters, troubleshooting path problems, monitoring configuration, etc), eliminating the need to support both IPv4 and IPv6 for as much management traffic as possible potentially allows for simplification of configuration, reclamation of addresses, etc.

Thanks,

Wes George

Anything below this line has been added by my company's mail server, I have no control over it.