Re: [v6ops] Flow Label Load Balancing

Fernando Gont <fernando@gont.com.ar> Tue, 24 November 2020 19:06 UTC

Return-Path: <fernando@gont.com.ar>
X-Original-To: v6ops@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: v6ops@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id E503E3A164D; Tue, 24 Nov 2020 11:06:36 -0800 (PST)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.889
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.889 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, NICE_REPLY_A=-0.001, SPF_HELO_NONE=0.001, T_SPF_TEMPERROR=0.01, URIBL_BLOCKED=0.001] autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([4.31.198.44]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id hckVkfhsEO0U; Tue, 24 Nov 2020 11:06:34 -0800 (PST)
Received: from fgont.go6lab.si (fgont.go6lab.si [91.239.96.14]) (using TLSv1.2 with cipher ADH-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (256/256 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 2216F3A164C; Tue, 24 Nov 2020 11:06:28 -0800 (PST)
Received: from [IPv6:2800:810:464:8164:3143:1df2:74fd:43d0] (unknown [IPv6:2800:810:464:8164:3143:1df2:74fd:43d0]) (using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 (128/128 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by fgont.go6lab.si (Postfix) with ESMTPSA id 73FFC283AE6; Tue, 24 Nov 2020 19:06:24 +0000 (UTC)
To: Alexander Azimov <a.e.azimov@gmail.com>, tcpm <tcpm@ietf.org>, v6ops@ietf.org
References: <CAEGSd=DY8t8Skor+b6LSopzecoUUzUZhti9s0kdooLZGxPEt+w@mail.gmail.com>
From: Fernando Gont <fernando@gont.com.ar>
Message-ID: <d29042a7-742b-a445-cf60-2773e5515ae5@gont.com.ar>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 16:05:50 -0300
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/60.9.1
MIME-Version: 1.0
In-Reply-To: <CAEGSd=DY8t8Skor+b6LSopzecoUUzUZhti9s0kdooLZGxPEt+w@mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Language: en-US
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/v6ops/8XTX-06n73Aim-ON7WJ-pZazEm0>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Flow Label Load Balancing
X-BeenThere: v6ops@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.29
Precedence: list
List-Id: v6ops discussion list <v6ops.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/options/v6ops>, <mailto:v6ops-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/v6ops/>
List-Post: <mailto:v6ops@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:v6ops-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops>, <mailto:v6ops-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 19:06:37 -0000

On 19/11/20 07:48, Alexander Azimov wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
> 
> I have added in the cc both v6op and tcpm for a reason and let me 
> explain why.
> 
> It's clear that we are moving forward with load balancing that uses flow 
> label (FL). And the pressure will increase with SRv6 adoption. But at 
> the moment wide adoption of FL-based load-balancing may create 
> significant issues for TCP Anycast services.
> 
> RFC6437 suggests putting hash from 5-tuple into FL value. And as far as 
> I know, there is no document that updates this behavior. This 
> description is perfectly fine, but what is implemented in the Linux 
> kernel is different: FL is carrying hash from 5-tuple with an additional 
> seed, and this seed is randomly changed after each RTO/SYN_RTO event. 

Changing the FL upon RTO is a bug.

I guess/assume that when you say SYN-RTO, you really mean "user 
timeout", rather than RTO. If you don't, then that's also a bug.
If you do, I fail to understand what's the reason for wanting the FL to 
change in that case, because as a result of port randomization, it 0s 
unlikely that the same four-tuple is employed for the next connection retry.


> Here are related patches:
> 
>   * https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/alpine.DEB.2.02.1407012100290.20628@tomh.mtv.corp.google.com/
>   * https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/1438124526-2129341-1-git-send-email-tom@herbertland.com/
>   * https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/20160928020337.3057238-1-brakmo@fb.com/
> 
> 
> This is a great thing by the way because in the data center 
> environment with multiple equal paths it gives a way to have 
> pseudo-multipath TCP which jumps between paths in case of an outage. 
> There might be interest to writedown an informational document for this.

That's a bad idea, since specs-wise the Flow-Label is not guaranteed to 
remain unchanged from source to destination. If you want to ahve 
multiple paths, then you should implement that in routing.



> I wonder what you think is a proper solution:
> 
>   * Making FL related RTO change as knob instead of default behavior;
>   * Adding negotiation behavior in TCP;
>   * Something else?

Just make the FL a function of the connection "identifier". And keeo it 
constant for the lifetime of that conenction.

Thanks,
-- 
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando@gont.com.ar || fgont@si6networks.com
PGP Fingerprint: 7809 84F5 322E 45C7 F1C9 3945 96EE A9EF D076 FFF1