Re: [v6ops] [GROW] Deaggregation by large organizations

Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> Thu, 16 October 2014 23:35 UTC

To: Owen DeLong <owen@delong.com>
From: Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 10:35:32 +1100
Cc: v6ops@ietf.org, grow@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [v6ops] [GROW] Deaggregation by large organizations

In message <A7F6BEA0-BCDD-4197-B6CB-7EB8797ACA9C@delong.com>, Owen DeLong writes:

> On Oct 16, 2014, at 02:43 , Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com> wrote:
>
> > Let me address a few points that were brought up by different people.
> >
> > Renumbering:
> >
> > We had great plans for making renumbering easy in the early days of IPv6. Remember A6 records and bit
> labels in the DNS? But none of that went anywhere. The problem isn't so much that we can't push a prefi
> x down the network or update the DNS (although both of these still have challenges associated with them
> ), but that addresses tend to get hardcoded all over the place, starting with firewalls all the way up
> to homegrown applications. I don't think renumbering addresses this issue, although it could help steer
>  some smaller organizations away from PI.
>
> They never went anywhere because they focused on solving the easy part of the renumbering problem while
>  utterly and completely ignoring the hard part.
>
> Easy part: Changing your stuff.
> Hard part: Updating all of the prefix lists, filters, firewall rules, VPN configurations, and other con
> figuration elements in systems not under your control that contain your prefixes (partner VPNs, peer ro
> uters, etc.).

Owen this a collective response to the list.

Not all that hard at all.  Just send signed update requests.  I did
that with email over a decade ago.  You just have to have something
listening for them that verifies the signature and updates the
system.

Write a draft "Remote Firewall Update Request Protocol" and submit
it.

The alternative is stop worrying about the remote address and use
security at the application layer.

Or complain to your vendor that you can't use a hostname in the
configuration file element.  In many cases it doesn't require
anything more than looking up a address in the DNS before the
operation.  Yes, I need to fix the masters clause in named to support
this.  We already do something similar for NOTIFY messages so it
is possible to do this.

For masters clauses there is a bootstrap problem to deal with but
it is not impossible.  Just sending periodic NOTIFY messages will
work.  Named has had support to do this for 1 1/2 decades now to
allow for a a stealth master behind a dial on demand link.  It would
send a notify periodically.  That would bring up the line.  The
slave would refresh and transfer if required.  When that was complete
the idle timer on link would drop it.

This just used standard signalling designed by the IETF in a different
way.

Stop expecting someone else to *find* and fix these issues for you.
You know what the issues are.  Ask your vendors to fix them.  If
they need to co-ordinate they should know where to go to do it.

Mark