Re: [v6ops] I-D Action: draft-ietf-v6ops-transition-comparison-00.txt

Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard@huawei.com> Fri, 16 April 2021 13:05 UTC

From: Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard@huawei.com>
To: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet=40consulintel.es@dmarc.ietf.org>, "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 13:05:09 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.47.205.190]
Subject: Re: [v6ops] I-D Action: draft-ietf-v6ops-transition-comparison-00.txt

Hi Jordi,
You did bring the news about iOS that is a big secret for the community. What is the iOS version that supports CLAT?
Then it is mandatory to include such important information in the draft.

I am not so interested in any specific protocol. We have too many.
I am interested in the use case: "to initiate a connection from the outside to an IPv4 server that is behind translation solution".
We could assume that port forwarding on the CPE subscriber could provision himself (probably port 80). But the CPE should receive incoming TCP session from the internet.
It would probably bring onto the discussion PCP (for some translation technologies), but if not - I would not be much disappointed.
By the way, you could dispute the use case then the question is closed.
I now carriers where all subscribers do receive public IPv4 even now.
But I know Carriers that have a shortage of public IPv4 for CGNAT pools.
Of course, you could send them to buy IPv4 on the open market because NAT connection initiated in opposite direction is additional complexity.
You choose.

Eduard