Subject: [v6ops] I-D Action: draft-ietf-v6ops-464xlat-optimization-06.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2026 01:09:26 -0700
List-Id: v6ops discussion list <v6ops.ietf.org>

Internet-Draft draft-ietf-v6ops-464xlat-optimization-06.txt is now available.
It is a work item of the IPv6 Operations (V6OPS) WG of the IETF.

   Title:   464XLAT/MAT-T Optimization
   Authors: Jordi Palet Martinez
            Alejandro D'Egidio
   Name:    draft-ietf-v6ops-464xlat-optimization-06.txt
   Pages:   26
   Dates:   2026-07-06

Abstract:

   IP/ICMP Translation Algorithm (SIIT) can be used to provide access
   for IPv4-only hosts or applications to IPv4-only or dual-stack
   destinations over IPv6-only infrastructure.  In that case, the
   traffic flows are translated twice: first from IPv4 to IPv6
   (stateless NAT46 at the ingress point to the IPv6-only
   infrastructure) and then from IPv6 back to IPv4 (stateful NAT64, at
   the egress point).  When the destination is IPv6-enabled, the second
   translation might be avoided.  This document describes a possible
   optimization to 464XLAT and MAP-T to avoid translating IPv6 flows
   back to IPv4 if the destination is reachable over IPv6.  The proposed
   solution would significantly reduce the NAT64 utilization in the
   operator's network, increasing the performance.

The IETF datatracker status page for this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-464xlat-optimization/

There is also an HTMLized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-464xlat-optimization-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://author-tools.ietf.org/iddiff?url2=draft-ietf-v6ops-464xlat-optimization-06

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at:
rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts