Re: [v6ops] I-D Action: draft-ietf-v6ops-design-choices-04.txt

Philip Matthews <philip_matthews@magma.ca> Thu, 19 February 2015 19:07 UTC

From: Philip Matthews <philip_matthews@magma.ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 14:07:36 -0500
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Cc: v6ops@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [v6ops] I-D Action: draft-ietf-v6ops-design-choices-04.txt

Hi Brian:

I personally do not know of a way to get a packet to a link-local address on a different link unless the routers in-between are very very broken. However, I think the discovery a couple of years ago that most routers happily forwarded packets with link-local _source_ addresses surprised people, even though in hindsight it should not have. And security folk (and researchers!) are always leery of absolute statements like "This is impossible". So when Jen Lincova requested that we soften the wording around link-local address security (in her comments at the mike during the Honolulu session), I was happy to comply.  Hence the text below, and similar changes in a couple of other spots.

- Philip