[v6ops] Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-ietf-v6ops-v4v6-xlat-prefix-02: (with COMMENT)

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Wed, 21 June 2017 22:17 UTC

From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-v6ops-v4v6-xlat-prefix@ietf.org, Fred Baker <fredbaker.ietf@gmail.com>, draft-ietf-v6ops-v4v6-xlat-prefix.all@ietf.org, v6ops-chairs@ietf.org, fredbaker.ietf@gmail.com, v6ops@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 15:17:38 -0700
Subject: [v6ops] Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-ietf-v6ops-v4v6-xlat-prefix-02: (with COMMENT)

Adam Roach has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-v6ops-v4v6-xlat-prefix-02: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-v4v6-xlat-prefix/

COMMENT:

Like Suresh, I really appreciated the discussion of rationale in section 4.
There is one possibility that I'm surprised is not discussed; namely,
allocating 64::ff9b::/48 for this purpose, with the subset of addresses in
64::ff9b::/96 being *additionally* subject to the restrictions of RFC 6052.
This would seem to have the advantages of:

- Complete address adjacency without the disadvantages of using
64:ff9a:ffff::/48 - Sharing an even longer prefix (48 bits) than the 31-bit and
47-bit prefixes discussed in the document - Eliminating the caveat described in
the final paragraph of section 5 entirely

This is obvious enough that it had to be considered and rejected by the WG;
including the rationale for rejecting it seems appropriate here.