Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-mobile-device-profile last call

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Wed, 11 February 2015 10:43 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Mark ZZZ Smith <markzzzsmith@yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 10:43:38 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.1]
Cc: "draft-ietf-v6ops-mobile-device-profile.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-v6ops-mobile-device-profile.all@tools.ietf.org>, V6 Ops List <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-mobile-device-profile last call

Dear Mark,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. I do share several of your points.

I would like to make the following comments:

·         The document is no more than a superset of existing RFCs that are defining “profiles” without calling them as such. “IPv6 node requirements” or RFC7066 are profiles! This is mentioned in Section 1.2:

   This profile is a superset of that of the IPv6 profile for 3GPP
   Cellular Hosts [RFC7066<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7066>], which is in turn a superset of IPv6 Node
   Requirements [RFC6434<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6434>].  It targets cellular nodes, including GPRS,
   EPC (Evolved Packet Core) and IEEE 802.11 networks, that require
   features to ensure IPv4 service delivery over an IPv6-only transport
   in addition to the base IPv6 service.  Moreover, this profile covers
   cellular CPEs that are used in various deployments to offer fixed-
   like services.  Recommendations inspired from real deployment
   experiences (e.g., roaming) are included in this profile.  Also, this
   profile sketches recommendations for the sake of deterministic
   behaviors of cellular devices when the same configuration information
   is received over several channels.

·         There are conflicts between RFC7066 and RFC6434 (IPv6 node requirements): This document specifies which one should win.

   For conflicting recommendations in [RFC7066<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7066>] and [RFC6434<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6434>] (e.g.,

   Neighbor Discovery Protocol), this profile adheres to [RFC7066<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7066>].

   Indeed, the support of Neighbor Discovery Protocol is mandatory in

   3GPP cellular environment as it is the only way to convey IPv6 prefix

   towards the 3GPP cellular device.  In particular, MTU (Maximum

   Transmission Unit) communication via Router Advertisement must be

   supported since many 3GPP networks do not have a standard MTU

   setting.

·         Access to mobile networks should be harmonized with the fixed one: this is for instance the reason why this document advocates for the following:

   This profile uses a stronger language for the support of Prefix

   Delegation compared to [RFC7066<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7066>].  The main motivation is that

   cellular networks are more and more perceived as an alternative to

   fixed networks for home IP-based services delivery; especially with

   the advent of smartphones and 3GPP data dongles.  There is a need for

   an efficient mechanism to assign shorter prefix than /64 to cellular

   hosts so that each LAN segment can get its own /64 prefix and multi-

   link subnet issues to be avoided.  The support of this functionality

   in both cellular and fixed networks is key for fixed-mobile

   convergence.

·         There are (still) some specificities for mobile devices: PDP creation, roaming aspects, etc. Having a “standard” why to address those issue is key.

·         IPv4 continuity mechanisms defined for fixed devices does not apply for the mobile network: the counterpart of this profile for the fixed case can be for instance found in the profile defined in RFC7084. Those mechanisms are deployed in the mobile networks.

·         Because we are aware about the versioning issues, this document lists the features without referring the 3GPP release. Features can be supported without be “complexified” with the release considerations. This is why we included this sentence in the draft:

“The recommendations do not include 3GPP release details. “

·         The document is not a standard. The document can be seen as a “helper”.

·         A coordination between vendors and operators is encouraged as some of the functions in the terminal side require functions to be enabled in the network and vice versa. This document ambitions to ease that collaboration.

Thank you.
Cheers,
Med