Re: [v6ops] new draft: draft-colitti-v6ops-host-addr-availability

"George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Sun, 26 July 2015 01:21 UTC

From: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>, "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 21:21:03 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [v6ops] new draft: draft-colitti-v6ops-host-addr-availability

On 7/15/15, 11:07 AM, "v6ops on behalf of Alexandru Petrescu"
<v6ops-bounces@ietf.org on behalf of alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> wrote:

>One problem I see is when operators deliver a single global /64 prefix,
>and that /64 is understood as a single IPv6 global address.
>
>Forming multiple IPv6 addresses out of a single /64 is possible for
>multiple apps running on that device, so that may not be a problem.
>There may be some privacy concerns though, in that an attacker can
>identify there is a single device there (the /64 is unique).

WG] that is not a privacy consideration that is unique to this document,
and as such I recommend that we stay away from it, as it just distracts
from the main point by essentially asking for rolling /64 assignments or
multiple /64s. We need to keep the scope of this document fairly tight.

>But 'sharing' these IPv6 addresses with some other devices (64share) has
>more serious drawbacks, typically in the number of subnets - only one
>subnet is possible.

WG] I fully expect implementations of the type that this draft discusses
to get by with bridging if they need to share a /64 such as for mobile
device tethering. If they truly need multiple subnets, there is no way to
get around supporting DHCP_PD with some sane configuration around sending
and accepting hints for larger prefixes, because that doesn't work for
SLACC either. That probably needs to be another document, with those
specific use cases documented, because "always support multiple subnets"
is a more significant request than "always support multiple addresses"

Thanks,

Wes

Anything below this line has been added by my company’s mail server, I
have no control over it.