Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-enterprise-incremental-ipv6 WGLC

"Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> Mon, 05 August 2013 18:56 UTC

From: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
To: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>, "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 18:56:22 +0000
x-originating-ip: [130.247.104.6]
Subject: Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-enterprise-incremental-ipv6 WGLC

Hi Fred,

See below for my comments:

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com

1) Suggest going through the document and update any references that
   were once I-Ds but have since been published as RFCs (editorial).

2) Abstract - change: "and potentially an IPv6-only operating mode."
   to: "and eventually an IPv6-only operating mode." ?

3) Throughout the document, the use of "tunnels" seems to generically
   refer to tunnels used for IPv6/IPv4 transition purposes and is used
   in a somewhat negative light. However, IPv6 tunnels will be used in
   enterprises for the long term for other crucial functions.

   To disambiguate, suggest going through the document and change the
   word "tunnels" to "transition tunnels" where this is the intended
   meaning. Also add text similar to the following near the beginning
   of the document:

   "Tunnels used for IPv6/IPv4 transition are expected as near/mid-
    term mechanisms, while IPv6 tunneling will be used for many
    long-term operational purposes such as security, routing control,
    mobility, multi-homing, traffic engineering, etc. We refer to the
    former class of tunnels as "transition tunnels".

4) Section 4.3, end of third paragraph, add the sentence:

   "For example, mobility management functions will be needed to
    accommodate handovers between diverse access technologies."

5) Section 4.3, add a final paragraph such as:

   "Enterprise networks more and more include virtual networks where
    a single physical node may host many virtualized addressable devices.
    It is imperative that the addressing plans assigned to these virtual
    networks and devices be consistent and non-overlapping with the
    addresses assigned to real networks and nodes. For example, a
    virtual network established within an isolated lab environment
    may at a later time become attached to the production enterprise
    network."