Re: [v6ops] Flow Label Load Balancing

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Wed, 25 November 2020 19:40 UTC

To: Tom Herbert <tom@herbertland.com>
Cc: IPv6 Operations <v6ops@ietf.org>, tcpm <tcpm@ietf.org>
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 14:39:55 -0500
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Flow Label Load Balancing

This kind of thing is why, as I understand it, MPTCP has discovery
mechanisms ot know if both sides use it, and can select alternative
addresses for communication.

Trying to guess flow labels that might avoid a problem because it might
be an ECMP problem, is just flailing about.  Not a good design for
operational protocols.

And in general, designing protocols around "I know exactly what is going
on"  (the requirement for what you describe that goes well beyond just
"limited domains") is also a recipe for failure.

The Flow Label RFCs are actually very explicit that a flow label is
supposed to be stable for the life of the flow.  Otherwise, it isn't a
flow label.

Yours,
Joel