Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-balanced-ipv6-security WGLC

Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se> Wed, 13 November 2013 08:30 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 09:30:42 +0100
From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se>
To: "Fred Baker (fred)" <fred@cisco.com>
Cc: "v6ops@ietf.org WG" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-balanced-ipv6-security WGLC

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013, Fred Baker (fred) wrote:

> My second premise is that any communication attempt directed to a
> network, or to a application in a network, that doesn't have a
> application in the network that willingly communicates with it is an
> attack.

If it doesn't want to communicate, then it gives connection refused.

For me, a firewall is a way to have a policy that disallows connections to
"dumb" services "inside" that can't protect itself. Basically, the
firewall means that instead of making the home part of the Internet, it
tries to limit its participation.

The classic unix model is that services below 1024 are privileged ports,
and there lives most of the "sensitive" services. Userspace processes live
in 1024 and above.

I believe I voiced opinion that I was fine with disallowing unsolicited
connections from the outside to inside ports below 1024. This would mean
most home services would not be accessible from the outside, but at least
most of the peer-to-peer communication applications would work without
restrictions since these live in the high ports.

The draft being discussed, balanced-security tries to identify weak
services. I am fine with this approach as well, since it means the user
doesn't have to do administration of for instance ssh services, but still
blocks communication for the more common weak services. Having all
incoming connections blocked would be a mistake, in my opinion.

I therefore support the WGLC of the above draft.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se