Re: [v6ops] IPv6-only section [draft-ietf-v6ops-enterprise-incremental-ipv6 WGLC]

joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com> Thu, 08 August 2013 07:22 UTC

Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 00:21:37 -0700
From: joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, "cb.list6" <cb.list6@gmail.com>
Cc: v6ops@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [v6ops] IPv6-only section [draft-ietf-v6ops-enterprise-incremental-ipv6 WGLC]

> On 08/08/2013 16:08, cb.list6 wrote:
>> On Aug 5, 2013 9:49 PM, "Brian E Carpenter" <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> On a different topic, section 5 covers IPv6-only issues.
>>> I'm a bit concerned that this might need a health warning:
>>> deploying NAT64/DNS64 might cause pain and suffering.
>>> Perhaps after this text:

>>> we should add something like:
>>>
>>>    At enterprise level, operating NAT64 and DNS64 services for
>>>    heavy usage may have significant practical implications.
>>>
>> Can you be more specific? Pratical data?
> Not really, because I've never operated one in real life. It doesn't
> strike me as the sort of service that most enterprise network
> managers will be familiar with, and a v6-only site needing a normal
> level of access to v4-land would end up sending most of its external
> traffic via NAT64 and most of its external DNS queries via DNS64.
> Therefore, these would become an important single point of failure
> and a potential bottleneck. The text doesn't seem to point this out.
imho the tools you employ to scale this are about the same as those
employed for for nat44 or service load balancing.

e.g. stateless hashing, horizontal tiers of translators, no state
replication, multiple clusters for different regions/pops/offices etc.

the solutions in the marketplace more or less follow along those lines.

There are implications for both fragmentation and pmtud for some of
those cases that have to be managed, but I don't expect that comes as a
surprise.