Subject: [v6ops] How was a /16 of IPv6 asigned from ARIN to non large network?

From: Momoka Yamamoto <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 04:29:01 +0900

Daryll Swer just posted to the WGLC
> 1. Regarding section 2, it appears the largest assignment is a /16
(2630::/16), a fairly new assignment—
https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET6-2630-2
> > "The four largest assignments made to end users have been /19s"

Creating a new thread as I think this should be discussed outside of the
specific draft.

Geoff at the mic I thought you said at the moment we are only allocating a
maximum /20

Even if a /16 is needed for a huge network looking at BGP tools CAPITAL-ONE
does NOT look like it has a large network. Why does it need it? Why did
ARIN allocate this to them?
https://bgp.tools/rir-owner/ARIN-CAPITA-120
This question would be different if it was a Tier-1 or Google, AWS. (still
/16 is wild)

Is this a special allocation? What meaning does this have?
I see it is the very first /16 of ARIN's new 2630:0000::/12
2630:: - 2630:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF
It is 1/16th of *ARIN's* 2630::/12. It is HUGE.

Momoka