Re: [v6ops] Scope of Unique Local IPv6 Unicast Addresses (Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-gont-6man-ipv6-ula-scope-00.txt)

Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> Fri, 08 January 2021 02:03 UTC

From: Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2021 13:02:54 +1100
Cc: Philip Homburg <pch-ipv6-ietf-7@u-1.phicoh.com>, IPv6 Operations <v6ops@ietf.org>, IPv6 List <ipv6@ietf.org>
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Scope of Unique Local IPv6 Unicast Addresses (Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-gont-6man-ipv6-ula-scope-00.txt)

> On 8 Jan 2021, at 12:43, Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com> wrote:
>
> Who determines what names to use?  What is the scope of the names? How is uniqueness guaranteed in that scope?

One would recommend using suffix names that are already registered to the organisation, individual in the DNS.
The example names I used where using the individuals suffix (id.au) but the idea is to leverage the existing global DNS to provide uniqueness.  If you don’t have a domain name generate a random 160 bit number and base32 encode it (like NSEC3) or similar and append .home.arpa to it.  If you are publishing into the global DNS you have a registered name to use as a suffix.  If you aren’t publishing into the global DNS you need to ensure the names don’t clash with any in the global DNS, <label>.home.arpa qualifies.   If you don’t like home.arpa, register a another name to be the default suffix labels.