Re: [v6ops] Discussion of draft-ietf-v6ops-ula-usage-recommendations

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Tue, 21 July 2015 16:32 UTC

To: Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 18:32:46 +0200
Cc: v6ops@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Discussion of draft-ietf-v6ops-ula-usage-recommendations

Le 21/07/2015 18:28, Mark Andrews a écrit :

> In message <55AE71F7.8000107@gmail.com>, Alexandru Petrescu writes:

>>> All hosts that need external communication.
>>
>> I agree, all hosts that need external communication.

>>> That isn't a standards issue, but I agree that operationally, there
>>> needs to be a viable way for anyone to generate a random number. Wait
>>> a minute, that doesn't seem hard.
>>
>> It's easily done centrally, but in a distributed manner it's harder -
>> how am I sure the network I connect to has ULAs generated such that they
>> dont clash with mine?
>
> *YOU* generate you ULA properly.

You for single or plural?

Until now I was saying to my peers: I take 192.168.1.1 please take
something else and I'll route to you.

Now I am saying: generate ULA properly, make it truly random.  But how?

>>> Why not? ULA to ULA routing on a private link might be desired (e.g.
>>> after two networks merge without renumbering). From a routing PoV
>>> there is nothing special about a ULA prefix; we just need to
>>> configure carefully where it is routed and where it is not routed.
>>
>> Yes, private routing should be ok, but only if these ULAs are unique.
>> If people on different networks use different generation methods then
>> it's dubious to be sure of the uniqueness.  Maybe I choose fd00:1::/64
>> being sure that no random generator will make it, and it happens my
>> neighbors does the same.  That leads to conflict on fd00:1::/64 and we
>> dont want routing enabled between the two.
>
> Generate.  Don't choose.  If you generate then you should be ok.

Ok.

But it's much easier to choose.

We want simple ULA addresses, simple to remember, simple to type,
ideally based on a dictionary.

This is something everybody building even the simplest IPv6 network has
to do: what simple ULA IPv6 addresses to put there to not break something.

Alex