[v6ops] Robert Wilton's No Objection on draft-ietf-v6ops-slaac-renum-04: (with COMMENT)

Robert Wilton via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 19 October 2020 19:08 UTC

From: Robert Wilton via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-v6ops-slaac-renum@ietf.org, v6ops-chairs@ietf.org, v6ops@ietf.org, Owen DeLong <owen@delong.com>, v6ops@ietf.org, owen@delong.com
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 12:08:05 -0700
Subject: [v6ops] Robert Wilton's No Objection on draft-ietf-v6ops-slaac-renum-04: (with COMMENT)

Robert Wilton has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-v6ops-slaac-renum-04: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-slaac-renum/

COMMENT:

Hi,

Thank you for this document that highlights an operational issue.

My same comments regarding the acknowledgements and references as for
draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-slaac-renum-05 also apply here.

Thank you to Juergen for the Opsdir review.   I also broadly agree with his
comments.  Although tweaking the SLAAC timers helps reduce this problem
somewhat, it doesn't seem to mitigate it altogether.  Ideally, there would be a
way for the SLAAC protocol to indicate that the advertised prefixes replace all
prefixes that had previously been advertised by that device.  Hopefully
draft-ietf-v6ops-slaac-renum will specify suitable mitigation.

I also agree with Juergen's statement regarding trying to make hosts more
robust if they detect connectivity failures, particularly if there are multiple
prefixes available that they could choose from.  I don't know if this might be
worth mentioning in section 4 on Future Work?

Regards,
Rob